Chapter 1

Wednesday, October 3rd 1983

The same thing every year. Life could be a blur. It often went by so fast, but the days were so slow.
A man sat in his gray Ford Escort, scanning the apartment ahead.

He was a rather knowledgeable man. A small few would call him smart. His name was Troy Cohen. Father of Darren and Ruthie Cohen. Ex-husband of Leah Cohen. Troy was a determined man.

"Darren! Turn the lights off!" Leah hollered.

It was the same every year. If Troy was ever jailed, it was a quick sentence. He would always come crawling back. Leah knew this.

Every time, every year that they would move, whether it was a new city or state, he would find them shortly after. He was attached. He couldn't handle the fact his family was done with him. He wanted revenge or whatever he could get.

He was still there in his car. He lit his Cuban cigar and watched the smoke blow up. Didn't even bother to roll his window down to let it out.

"Why, ma?" Darren asked. His fists clenched.

Darren was 16. Ruthie was 14.

"It's your father," Leah sighed. "He's out there."

Fear arose in Darren. His heart started to pace. He became numb. Soon, this would be over. One day, the end of the line would come. Troy, Darren's father, would get what he wanted.

Leah quickly snatched the phone by its cord and dialed 911, as she did almost every year. She knew he would never be in prison for long. He hadn't assaulted or murdered any of them. He had done it long ago, but he hadn't now.

Darren and Ruthie shared a room in the small 2 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment. The kitchen and living room were nearly attached.

Darren awoke Ruthie from her sleep and rushed her to the living room where their Mother was.

All of the lights were out now. Troy wasn't that stupid. He wasn't going to give up easily. He got out of his car and slammed the door, heading toward the first floor of the apartment.

"Come quick please," Leah whispered. "My ex-husband's been parked in front of my apartment for about an hour. Hurry, he's out of the car. He's heading toward the first floor."

Darren heard mumbles from the phone but couldn't make out what the operator said.

There was a knock on the door. Darren and Ruthie froze. They all assumed it would be Troy.
Fortunately, it was the police.

"He's been taken care of." The officer said.

The badge on the officer read 'Officer G. Marks.'
He was very stern but also very assuring.

"Has he been arrested?" Leah asked.

"Yes ma'am," He replied. "Were you aware of his previous criminal record?"

"He won't leave us alone until he gets his way."

"Yes, trust me," He led on. "I understand you."

After the assurance from Officer Gideon Marks, Leah immediately called her parents to ask if she and her kids could stay with them for at least one night. They didn't answer, so she gave up on it.

It was 1 AM. She called real estate agents and almost every number available from her newspaper catalog until a man answered.

"Kent Goldman, real estate agent." He answered.