Chapter 16

After Ruthie got better, Leah bought her a plane ticket to see her grandparents, Leah's parents, in Georgia. Leah didn't feel that her daughter was safe in Wolf Hollow as long as Troy was there.

"You know what to do, right?" Leah asked. "gramma and papa will pick you up when you arrive."

"I'll call you later mom." Ruthie said.

Leah reached in to hug her and kiss her on the cheek. Ruthie grabbed her suitcase and strolled along. Leah wiped a single tear from her face with a tissue.

Leah tried to get her mind off the bad thoughts. It would be good for Ruthie to see her grandparents and be away from Wolf Hollow.

Ruthie would be with her Gramma and Papa. Eating warm freshly-baked cookies, playing board games, going outside in the fields, and listening to the radio. What could Leah worry about? She would be fine.

Leah went back to Kent's car, trying not to cry schagain. "I hope she's gonna be okay." She said.

"Why wouldn't she be?" Kent answered. "she's better anywhere that isn't here."

"I know," She muttered. "moving here was not the best thing for us. I'm glad I met you, but I don't know how much longer I can do this."

"It was a good thing. It's not your fault."

_________________________________

School wasn't the same without Ruthie, even though Darren had never seen her when she was there. Ruthie would only be gone for a week. She was missing school, after all. It was Tuesday.

"How are you, man?" Theo asked.

Darren felt like it had been ages since he'd spoke to him.

"I'm holding up." Darren replied.

Wayne, Ryder and Pat snuck up behind them. Ryder put his hands on Theo's shoulders and jokingly shook him, then gave the others high fives.

"Old Al still out hunting people?" Wayne asked.

"I don't know." Darren said.

Wayne put his arm around him. "More murders been happenin'. Just warning ya."

"Wayne, let him be," Theo bumped into Wayne. "there's enough on everyone's plate."

Darren followed the crowd of other students to his 3rd class. The teacher handed everyone a paper. Loud chatter filled the room.

After class, a familiar shadow awaited Darren in the hallway.

Coach Lander smirked. "What a lovely surprise."

"What is it coach?" Darren asked.

"You weren't at practice yesterday."

"I wasn't at school either," Darren replied. "i've had some really bad family stuff come up."

"Can I expect you with us tomorrow?"

"Yes sir." Darren said.

_________________________________

Albert raked the remainder of leaves in his yard and threw them into a pile. He started heading toward a pile of logs.

"Need some help?" Darren called out.

"That would be nice of you." Albert said.

The logs of wood were for fire and warmth. The water well on the hill was for water, obviously.

Darren lifted the few logs there were in the pile onto a large metal tray. Why was no one else helping this 83 year old man today. Had they found out the truth?