Chapter 11

Joe's murder was all over television. More and more support was being gained for his family. Prayers and such.

The police suggested that whoever murdered him killed themself right after so they wouldn't be caught. Nothing was said about Albert. He wasn't at home when it happened.

Darren walked into the chapel. The church pews were filled with people. Eleanor, her parents, and little brother were in the 2nd to last pew. Darren could also see Felix and his family.

Theo and his friends were in the closest row to the front, next to Joe's parents. Theo had tears in his eyes. They all did. They had just lost their best friend, so it was normal.

Darren wondered how the rest of them would've felt if it was Theo who died, instead of Joe.

Joe's parents were sobbing loudly. Joe's mother Susie's crying was annoying and ugly, but it didn't matter because it was a funeral and it was her son in that casket.

Susie's husband reached over to hug and comfort her. She used his puffy jacket as a pillow to cry on.

An old woman in a flowery black dress stood over the open casket. Joe had a black and white traditional suit on. His face was all cleaned up, different from when he was murdered.

His stab wound wasn't visible. Scars of scratches were still visible under the embalming makeup.

Even with makeup, he looked miserable. This was not the same Joe that Darren met on the first day of school. The Joe who told him to be safe living next to Albert Shepard.

In a cracking voice, the old woman hollered. "HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN? MY ONLY GRANDSON! YOU TOOK HIM! WHOEVER YOU ARE, YOU TOOK HIM. YOU BITCH!"

Susie got up to stand beside her mom at the casket. Susie stroked her dead son's face. It was possibly the last time she would ever get to.

A lot of parents never got to see their kids faces after they were murdered. Many were decapitated. Funerals were a reminder to tell someone you love him while they're alive.

Leah and Kent, back in Chicago, of course knew about this. They checked the television and tried to call several times. No answer.

This was a thanksgiving holiday nightmare for a mother and a father. Their baby boy was murdered and no one knew who did it.

By now, Theo and his friends were gathering at the casket talking to Joe's dead body, saying they'd finish off their bucket list and that they would get revenge for whoever did this. Maybe the only time they would show emotions.

The pastor, Hubert Franklin, started to preach about how it was unfortunate and how God had reasoning for it, which just made Darren and everyone else lean more to Atheism.

When the obituary was done, everyone was done praying, and everything wrapped up, everyone said their condolences and went on.

That was except for Joe's mother, Susie. She kneeled at the casket. She put up a fight when they tried to take his body to the cemetery for burial. But eventually she had to give in.

_________________________________

Thanksgiving day approached. Darren absolutely couldn't cook for thanksgiving. This was probably the worst year ever for him and his family. It was only Darren, Ruthie, and Eleanor.

Albert wasn't home this time either. He had gone to his family's for thanksgiving. Darren wanted to rest. He didn't feel like snooping at Albert's house for the moment.