Taegyu Final

"Okay" Beomgyu sucks in a deep breath, "I got this

"Okay" Beomgyu sucks in a deep breath, "I got this..."

He has a black apron on with his white sleeves rolled up, his veiny and calloused hands on display. Staring down at the whole bunch of ingredients on the kitchen counter, Beomgyu takes a deep breath for the umpteenth time he had been in the kitchen.

After Taehyun had left to tutor his student, Beomgyu had unpacked his luggages and brought out the groceries his parents bought for him.

"Galbitang galbitang galbitang" Beomgyu repeated the dish's name like a broken record as he rinsed the beef short ribs in cold water a couple of times to remove any residual blood and bone fragments before soaking them in cold water.

"Drain... Blanch in boiling water" the red haired man mumbled to himself as he performed those actions. "Strain... wash and remove any visible fat. Clean the pot... return them into the pot, add..." his eyes searched for radish and onions. Dropping them into the same pot, he adds 12 cups of water and prays to the gods above while he lets them boil for two hours.

In the meantime, Beomgyu sits in the living room with a timer on his phone as he mindlessly scrolls through his device. He ends up swiping the pictures in his gallery, which is filled with Taehyun's pictures: screenshots from their video calls, candids Beomgyu took of him both at home and outside before Taehyun had moved to Canada, sneaky unglam photographs Beomgyu had snapped of the younger while he was napping or when he had one of those disgusted expressions on his face. Smiling to himself, Beomgyu relishes their memories together. He hopes to create more happy memories with Taehyun soon.

Deciding to listen some soothing and calming music, Beomgyu softly hums along, eyes staring blankly at the timer. He lets out a yawn, the exhaustion and jet lag finally settling in. Switching to songs with an upbeat and stronger bass, Beomgyu tries his best to stay awake, but even the loud blasting music sounds so far away, like lullabies to him. He eventually fails to win the fight against sleep and collapses back onto the couch, falling asleep right away.

━═━═━═━┤➴├━═━═━═━

"GALBITANG!" Beomgyu shot up from the couch with wide eyes as he gasped loudly in realisation. Cursing under his breath, he picked up his phone to check the timer, only to find that he had slept past the timer and previously set his phone on complete silence so there was no alarm.

Standing right up from the sofa, a thin blanket slides down onto the floor from his body, which didn't go unnoticed by him.

"Oh?" Beomgyu picks it up with confusion written all over his face. He doesn't remember sleeping with a blanket on.

Putting it back onto the furniture, he shuffles his way back to the kitchen, hands smoothing down his hair along the way until he spots a familiar back chopping away at the kitchen counter, the pot he used for galbitang still boiling over low heat.