23

❝ she was everything real
in a world of make-believe ❞
- atticus

Adonis huffed, a puff of cold air swirling amongst the fog in front of him. He tucked the flowers under his arm, trying to find warmth in the pockets of his puffer.

The doorbell's sound echoed further into the house, and a second later, the door was pulled open. The first thing he noticed was her height. she was short. She barely reached his chest, so she must've been shorter than Thea.

Raising an eyebrow at him, she opened the door further, eyes scanning him from head to toe.
"And you are..?" she drawled, eyes wary.

"Ad-." He was rudely interrupted, however, as Artemis rounded the corner, almost bumping into the said girl.

"Oh, it's just you." Adonis rolled his eyes before cheekily turning to the girl beside him, flashing a dazzling set of teeth.

"Baby, this is Adonis. The guy we talked about earlier". The girl's mouth opened in shock, and she laughed, curling herself into Artemis' chest.

"The Adonis?".

Artemis nodded, hands reaching further than her waist before realising Adonis was there. Realising Adonis could see what he was about to do, he sent him a stern look and motioned for him to enter the house.

The girl turned around, cheeks red from laughing, and reached a perfectly manicured hand out. "Ayva, I've heard a lot about you."

Her voice contrasted heavily with her looks. Dark black hair framed her voice, ending just before her shoulders in a wolf cut. Tattoos covered her arms, and her septum was pierced; the horseshoe fitting snugly against her nose.

"I wish I could say the same," he replied curtly, turning toward Thea's room. Artemis stopped him, gently pulling the flowers out of his hand to smell them.

"Yeah, yeah. You're just not around when we talk about her". Artemis paused, bringing the flowers to his nose. "These smell way better than the other ones."

Ayva lightly slapped him on the chest, murmuring for him to quit bothering him, sending a smile to Adonis. He sent one back (admittedly, it was more of a grimace) before heading upstairs to Thea's room.

He knocked, waiting for her reply, and entered. Ares' feet were against the wall; his body turned in a shape Adonis didn't even know was possible as he faced the TV.

He muttered a quick 'hey,' moving to Thea's side. She smiled at him, motioning for him to bend down so she could press a kiss against his cheek.

A cough reverberated across the room, and Adonis rolled his eyes. "I'm still here, you know."
"Then leave," Thea replied, reaching to kick him in the shin.

"Then leave," he mocked, pulling a face at Thea.

Thea gently laughed into Adonis' neck, pulling him down next to her. He immediately curled into the side, laying his head on her lap. Ares let out a sound of agony, grabbed the packet of chips lying next to him, and left loudly, whining on how he just wanted to enjoy an episode of The Simpsons with his baby sister.

"Only if you hadn't fucked up with Ember," Adonis noted, tucking his head further into Thea's lap.

"I heard that," Ares yelled, throwing the rude finger up.

"That was the point."

Thea laughed, hands absentmindedly running her hands through his hair. He tried hard to stay awake but felt his consciousness slipping through his fingertips and drifted away with a kiss to his forehead.

Adonis awoke to feather-like kisses across his face, a hand gently running through his hair. Letting out a groan, he opened his eyes to Thea's hair draped across his face and sent her a small smile.

"You look worn out," she commented, smoothing out the wrinkle in his brow. Adonis sighed, cuddling further into her lap, his hands automatically wrapping around her waist.

"Just tired, I guess. Onyx woke me up early to help wrap gifts for you guys". Thea chuckled and pressed a kiss to his forehead.

"Sounds like him. Ayva made dinner if you want to freshen up and come down". He nodded as his eyes fluttered shut, already falling back asleep.

Ten minutes later, after waking up from his power nap, he washed his face and headed down. Soft voices and laughs drifted from the living room, and he smiled, moving to sit next to Thea.

"Y'know, if you came here to nap, my bed's comfier," Artemis spoke, sending him a cheeky wink. Adonis' eye twitched as he fought the urge to reply snarkily and instead sent him a glare.

"He gets riled up so easily," Ares commented from where he was sitting, still watching The Simpsons.

Adonis chose to ignore him, turning to Thea.

"No, we were waiting for you," she replied, reaching for his hand. Even though he had already eaten, Adonis smiled, softly pecking her on the cheek, lacing their fingers as he pulled her towards the dining room. 

Thea curled into Adonis, laying her head on his chest as they watched Lucifer. Ayva and Artemis sat furthest away from them, whispering to each other. They'd glance over at the two often, but Adonis pretended he couldn't see them, keeping his gaze on the TV in front of him.