Chapter 5

"ENOUGH!" AVERY GIGGLED AS she reenacted Art's reaction to Ashton in front of our mothers. All of us were inside the dress shop of Auntie Jenny, Art's mom. We are to fit our dresses for the dance. Since our mothers and the three of us became friends, Auntie Jenny has been making our dresses and costumes.

Avery's storytelling made me remember Art's flushed face and fisted hands. Then, I saw his chest heaving fast and deep when he yelled enough. He was the same Art who was in fumes when Ashton declared I was the inspiration behind his song during the talent show awarding.

I was quiet the whole time Avery described what happened in the cafeteria. From their discussion, I learned that Auntie Beth, Avery's mom, contacted Ashton's mother. All three of our mothers offered to shoulder his expenses in coming to Boston, but the Williams declined.

"Ashton wanted to come and be Shelly's dance date voluntarily." Avery declared with her widened eyes.

Auntie Jenny cleared her throat. "I knew my son was heartbroken. He didn't say a word when he came home and locked himself in his bedroom." She glanced at me at the same time I looked at her. She gave me a half-smile. "He likes you, Shelly. I'm sure of it. I hope this dance will wake him up."

I shook my head. "I still couldn't believe that you planned everything together!"

"Ashton's proposal was the highlight! His feelings for Shelly were so strong when he looked at her that they even reached me!" Avery used her finger like an arrow and struck her heart.

Auntie Beth, Avery's mom, held the empty cushion and threw it at her. "Let's now focus on your dresses! What a blabbermouth you are, Ave!"

I wanted to laugh like my mom and Auntie Jenny, but when I remembered Paisley holding the gardenias from Art, my chest constricted. I knew any moment waterworks would start. So I bit my lip and bowed my head instead.

"Are you okay, sweetie?" Auntie Jenny asked as she looked at me.

My eyes glistened. "I'm fine, Auntie. I'm so embarrassed that you even have to join Ave's craziness." My voice croaked. "It's Art I'm worried about."

Instantly, my mom stood up and embraced me. "Oh, sweetie! You really like him."

My will to avoid my tears from falling crumbled, and I couldn't help it any longer. Tears started falling down my cheeks. Everyone stopped what they were doing as silence enveloped the room.

Avery stood behind me and hugged me. "I'm sorry, Shells, if I made you cry. I promised we won't talk about Art anymore after the dance."

"Don't worry, girls! When I come home tonight, I'll talk some sense to him. I won't mention anything about today. I'll guide him."

Auntie Beth laughed. "We are the most conniving mothers of all time! Why didn't we meet another mother with another son? I have someone to give away." She looked at Avery and smirked.

"Mom!" Avery pouted her lips. "We should work on Shelly first."

My mom smiled, but I knew something was bothering her.

"Mom, what's wrong?"

She took a deep breath. "I'm just worried if what we are doing is helping. You're just sixteen, and I shouldn't be pushing you on this love life thing."

"Sheryl." Art's mom stood up and squeezed mom on the shoulder. "They are meant for each other. We wouldn't want them to waste time not knowing how they feel towards each other."

My mom nodded. "I know. But what if Art isn't feeling the same thing for her?" My mom touched my cheek. "I wished for her to enjoy young love. To be inspired and not heartbroken."