Chapter 13

"PAISLEY? ENGINEERING?" AVERY HUFFED and puffed. She shook her head multiple times.

I didn't know what to say. My vision moved from Avery to Art. All our mothers' eyes were on us.

"I didn't have any idea." Art's eyes locked with mine. "You've got to believe me. The last time I saw and talked to her was the night of the dance." He pulled me close and whispered, "And I don't plan to see or talk to her at all."

I smiled and nodded. "It's alright. Don't worry about it."

"We're putting our trust in you on this, Son." Auntie Jenny said.

I gave a half-smile to our mothers, wanting to ease their minds off the issue. But Avery wasn't letting it slide.

"You better be, Arty! Paisley is a sugar-coated bitch. Sweet on the outside, but a certified bitch inside. Remember what she did to you and Shelly? I wouldn't trust her!"

"Avery Jackson! Language!" Auntie Beth shouted.

My best friend scowled at Art and pointed her fingers from her eyes to him. It may appear as a joke, but I knew the seriousness of Avery's intent.

As much as I would want to downplay the threat of Paisley's incoming presence at Art's school, my worried nerves were telling me otherwise. But Art and I made our relationship official, giving me certain assurance. And I wanted to make it stay that way.

The remaining hours of our celebration reminded me of how close and bonded our families were the whole night. Our mothers displayed full-on their love and concern for all of us. Avery's father though he was the only father for all three families, never made it appear that he loved Art and me less than Avery. All four parents discussed our future as if we came from only one father and mother.

For a few moments, the issue about Paisley left my thoughts. But when all events for the night ended and Art was the last to leave, negative thoughts came back at me.

From how Art gazed at me, I knew he hinted at what was going on in my mind. I'm sure my forehead showed lines too early for my age. Because thinking Paisley would have the chance to see Art every day in college was starting to freak me out.

When mom bid us goodnight, I ushered Art toward the door. But before I could touch the knob, he clasped his hand on mine.

"Tell me what's bothering you." He kissed my knuckles softly. "I wouldn't sleep tonight unless you're assured you can trust me."

"I trust you." I sighed aloud.

"But..." Art cleared his throat. "I feel the but coming. We need to be honest with each other to avoid any misunderstanding, Shells."

"I know." I caressed the side of his jaw. "I trust you, but I don't trust women like Paisley." I bowed my head. But I should be ready when we go to college we won't be seeing each other anymore. Ave and I will be in Connecticut. While you will be at MIT... with Paisley."

I didn't know what had come into me. As soon as Paisley's name came out of my mouth, tears fell from my eyes too.

I could use my immaturity as an excuse for the jealousy I've been feeling. Or I'm so in love with Art that I couldn't see reason in this college situation.

If Paisley were a sugar-coated bitch for Avery, to me, she would always be a reminder of all the pain, hurt, and time lost between Art and me. And she will always be a red flag in our relationship.

Art didn't waste any second as he enclosed me in his arms. "I'm sorry you have to feel this way. What can I do to ease your mind and assure your heart?"

I shook my head. "I trust you'd go by your promise." But, when I lifted my head, I saw desperation when I looked him in the eye.

In my heart, I knew I could trust him. But sometimes trusting the one you love isn't enough. Because in the real world, there were other people. People who wouldn't care as long as they could get what or who they want.

That was why any relationship shouldn't be only based on trust. Each one's effort to make a relationship bloom and work was significant too. As Art said, we must be honest and open about our feelings to avoid misunderstanding. I wanted us to work. And I intend to do my part.

"Promise me we will always be open and honest with each other. Even in small or bigger things. We should hear anything from either of us than from others."

Art nodded. We bid each other goodnight with a passionate kiss and hopeful hearts.

***

The three of us spent the remaining months before our time moving to college together. It was like when we were little kids. Movies, swimming, picnic, and taking turns for sleepovers. Our closeness and the times spent together solidified our friendship.

Even though we wouldn't want to count the weeks or days, we couldn't stop college life from coming. As we all planned and agreed upon with our parents, Avery and I moved our things to our on-campus apartment. As expected, it was a three-family affair. Once everything was settled for us girls, we all accompanied Art in moving his stuff to his room in MIT undergraduate residential hall.

It was reassuring to meet his roommate, who was pleasant and respectful. Avery's eyes were ogling the names written on the doors of the rooms beside Art's. Despite her silence, I knew what was running through her mind as she read each name on every door.

Once she had finished checking all the names, Avery clapped her hands softly. Auntie Jenny giggled while Auntie Beth's widened eyes were on her daughter. My mom smiled at Art and me as we headed toward the parking lot.

Since we still had the weekend free before we started classes, our parents decided that we all spend it in my and Avery's apartment.

But before we could all get inside Avery's family van, a loud shrieking voice stopped us.

"Arty!"

***