Chapter 23

THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!

My thoughts echoed repeatedly, but my body went numb, and I lost all sensation.

Please, not my mom!

The events that followed were a blur of fleeting images. Scenes played out before my eyes without my control. It felt like watching my life crumble before me in reflection.

Sitting outside the emergency room, my eyes were fixed on the massive door. It brought back memories from when I was eight years old.

Tears were everywhere, and my mom held me tightly as she cried silently. Despite feeling a profound sense of emptiness in my heart, I couldn't comprehend why. Sadly, no one had the opportunity to explain the situation to me at that time.

My mom and I were surrounded by the elders in our Brooklyn neighborhood, who offered warm hugs and tears of comfort. The moments after the big white door opened were etched in my memory. The expression on the doctor's face conveyed the news that changed our lives forever.

Today's events brought back the same fear, but I must remain strong. So, rather than dwelling on the fear, I recall my last conversation with my mom.

My mother was always vibrant, optimistic, and graceful. Even if she sensed that I was going through a tough time, she never mentioned it. However, her daily calls and constant messages filled with care and love made me feel genuinely fortunate.

I have been fortunate to have someone who never judges my decisions or despises my mistakes. Instead, she offers me understanding and inspiration whenever I need it. Through her, I have learned that home is not defined by a physical location but rather by the feeling of being enough for the people you care about and love.

"We can be happy anywhere! We create  our happiness!"

My mother is my sanctuary, my source of comfort and joy.

When I glanced around, I saw my extended family gathered, including Avery, her parents, and Art's mother. Their love has helped us through everything, and today was no exception.

Avery gently grasped my hand and whispered, "Art is on the phone with his mother."

I nodded, unable to find the right words to say. While I knew I needed to have a crucial discussion with Art, it could wait. However, their genuine concern for us was truly touching.

Memories of the moments I shared with my mom keep flooding my mind. I feel regretful for the times I missed her calls and guilty for not calling her first.

I shook my head and silently wept, regretful for all the missed opportunities to be the daughter my mom deserved.

I've been struggling with selfishness lately. I've been so preoccupied with hiding my situation that I haven't been able to spend quality time with my loved ones. Instead of checking in on them regularly, I've isolated myself and avoided social interactions. Keeping the truth to myself has caused me to miss precious moments with those who care about me and whom I treasure.

As Avery's hand tightly grasped mine, my attention returned to the large white door ahead. Unlike when my father passed away, I was fully aware of what was transpiring behind the door. With silent desperation, I fervently prayed for a positive outcome.

There is nothing I wouldn't do to see a smile on the face of someone who comes out of the ER. But, unfortunately, sometimes prayers alone aren't enough. When the door finally opened, my fellow waiting room companions and I immediately stood up. Art's mother and Avery held one of my hands as we approached the doctor.