Chapter 17

OUR THANKSGIVING BREAK WENT by quickly. Before we knew it, Art was driving Avery and me back to our apartment. Although it was only for a week; the time spent with our families was one for the books.

Art and I spent most of the days together, discovering Boston like never before. It was a new experience since we did most of the touristy stuff as a couple without Avery's third wheeling. Though I love my best friend the most, it felt great to see and experience things with Art alone.

Our time together showed me how Art was as a lover. He was a real gentleman, from opening the door and pulling out the chair for me. He gave me all his attention and care. Every day we spent together all the more made me fall in love with him. I can't deny I've deeply fallen for my childhood friend.

***

Since we went back to our college lives, Art never failed to prove his word. Every weekend, he stayed with Avery and me in our apartment. And my best friend didn't stop reminding me how I should trust Art and move our relationship to the next level.

"Have you thought about it?" Avery asked.

"About what?" My eyes widened.

"You know." Avery signed a V with her fingers. "We're turning nineteen soon, and you guys are months away from your first anniversary."

I smirked. "What is that a peace sign?"

"Shells! Seriously?" Avery moved toward my bed. "Hadn't Art given any sign?"

"What sign?" I pouted my lips. "Peace sign?"

"Yeah, whatever. Peace sign, V sign." Avery nodded. "I know you guys have been kissing a lot. Not that I'm spying on you." Avery scrunched her face. "Ew!"

I pulled her hair. "I wonder what you have been studying? I bet your head is full of perverted ideas!"

"Ouch! But seriously, how can you guys control yourselves when you've been making out a lot? Not to forget, nobody is around to guard you."

"It's what we call self-control and Art being a gentleman."

"Self-control my foot! Don't you tell me Art never asked nor gave any hint?"

"Don't you think we are more than that?" I paused.

Her words got me thinking. Did Art hint? Was I too blind to see the signs?

Avery pushed her face closer to mine. "What? Did he give any sign at all?"

I pressed two fingers on her forehead to push her face away. "Tell me. Why are you so invested in our sex life?"

"No, I'm not!" Avery shook her head. "Besides, as what you kept saying..." She raised her hands and air quoted, "you guys have no sex life!"

"Avery Jackson!" I yelled.

"Shelly Rae!" she yelled back.

***

Even though Avery sounded joking whenever she talked about her perverted ideas, it got me thinking more. When is the right time? Am I ready for it?

Every time Art came for the weekend, My best friend's ideas kept ringing in my ears.

"What's wrong?" Art's voice startled me.

"Nothing." I pressed my chest as I felt my cheeks blushing. "Don't scare me like that."

Art smiled. "I noticed since I arrived, you've been quiet."

When he held my hand and squeezed it, a tingling sensation rushed through my body. His stare made me weak.

"I'm... I mean. God! Avery had been messing with my mind."

I looked at Art's face. He has the perfect jawline. His eyes were mesmerizing. And his lips.

"Shells, are you okay? What did Avery do?"

I didn't realize I was biting my lip. Art was smiling as his stare focused on my lips.

"What did you say?"

"I was asking what Avery did this time."

"She was too much." I took a deep breath. "Have you been thinking about it? Is it the same for you guys?"

Art scratched his head. "Am I missing something?" He lifted my chin. "What are you two up to?"

Heat surged into me when suddenly he pressed his lips to mine. For some reason, I felt the urge to pull him closer. The space between us on the couch was gone. Avery's words echoed, hadn't Art given any sign at all?

"Is this what you're thinking about?" Art asked as his lips lingered a little longer. Then when his eyes met mine, he smiled and touched my nose. "What's on your mind?"

"Have you been thinking about it?" I asked again.

Art cupped my face and placed a kiss on my forehead. "Why don't you tell me what's on your mind? To make sure we understand each other."

Slowly Art pulled me and made me sit on his lap. I love how he made me feel. His touch gives me warmth. And his gaze fills me with devotion. There's no denying we feel the same for each other.

Even though we knew each other for so long and we've been friends ever since the emotions we have acknowledged for each other played an important role in changing the kind of relationship we have from just friends to lovers.

Art pinched my cheeks. "You missy had been talking in riddles since I arrive. Didn't we promise to be open with each other?"

I nodded. "Avery had been pestering me if you'd ask me."

"About what?"

I bit my lip and bowed my head in embarrassment.

Art lifted my head. "Why are you blushing?"

"It's embarrassing. Avery was just being pervy!"

"Pervy?" Art smirked. "Was she asking if we already did it?"

"Did what?" I asked back.

"S - E - X?" Art bit his lip this time.

"Yeah." I nodded.

"What did you tell her?"

"Nothing. But you have to tell me, have you thought about it?"

Art shook his head. "I never thought about it."

I was at a loss for words. His answer wasn't what I was expecting. Doubt filled my mind. Ache started creeping into my heart. My body stiffened.

What's wrong with me? Avery and her stupid ideas!

When I slowly pulled away from Art wanting to stand up, he immediately pulled me closer to his chest. I felt his breathing in between my cheek and ear.

"I never thought about sex because I promise to make love to you whenever you're ready."

***