Chapter 18

ART'S WORDS ECHOED IN my ears every freaking day, added to my best friend's teasing and nagging daily.

Avery constantly reminded me how Art and I have three big reasons to celebrate for the year—so many firsts, as she pointed out to my face.

Come February, it will be Art and my first Valentine's day together. My nineteenth birthday will be a few weeks later, followed by our first anniversary as a couple.

"Remember how we have listed in fourth grade how we would want to celebrate valentines with our boyfriends?" Avery pouted her lips.

"Aha. Enlightened me." I rolled my eyes. "My memory of fourth grade wasn't that great anymore."

"I can't believe you. Shells!" Avery's eyes widened. "We wrote everything in our friendship diary."

"And where is that diary? God! That was years and years ago!"

Avery's forehead was wrinkled. "We buried it in grandma's house in Florida."

I smiled as a memory flashed back at me. It was our first out-of-town summer vacation together. Avery's grandparents bought a retirement home in Palm Coast. We were so young and hopelessly romantic.

Grammy gave us a diary to write about that summer. Avery and I called it our friendship diary. It was a tradition we started. We'd written a diary to document our memories of our vacation together. But since it was the first, we were stupid to have it buried in her grandparents' backyard.

"I bet we need to improvise since we can't go to Florida to dig out that diary."

Avery shook her head. "I know. We shouldn't have left it there. But come to think of it. Art should come up with his idea."

I nodded. "I'd love a surprise!"

Out of nowhere, a pillow hit my face.

"You are so blushing!" Avery chuckled.

"I am not!" I threw back the same pillow at Avery. "That hurts, by the way!"

***

As excitement filled my days, February came sooner. It was funny how Avery came up with the idea of putting up a countdown calendar in our bedroom.

My best friend didn't know that Art had started his countdown. He had been sending me romantic quotes every day since Feb 1. Each note ended with a statement about one thing he loved about me.

At first, I thought Art couldn't come up with more than five things he loves about me. Yet day one quickly moved to day thirteenth.

Feb 10- I love your smile.

Feb 11- I love your pink lips.

Feb 12- I love your kiss.

Feb 13- I love you just the way you are.

When Feb 14 came, I woke up in an apartment surrounded by white gardenias, pink peonies, and red roses. Walking to the living room, I saw Avery smelling the roses and taking a selfie. My best friend's face showed how she was as excited as me. 

"Shells! This is better than what we wished for in fourth grade! I lost count of how many flowers there were."

Avery grinned. Her face perfectly expressed the happiness I was feeling. We are sisters in heart and soul. There was no jealousy, only pure joy for each other. Though in my heart, I pray for someone who can make my best friend as happy as I am. 

It was only ten in the morning, and Art asked me to prepare for his surprise mid-afternoon. But since we finished breakfast, my heart had been beating loud and fast non-stop. So Avery and I started prepping our dresses and accessories. 

Though it was supposed to be a couple's celebration, Art and I agreed to bring Avery to our early dinner. Since we were in grade school up to high school, the three of us spent Feb 14 together. And we wouldn't want it any other way. So we just made sure after dinner, we got the chance to be alone. 

When three o'clock came, Art stood on our doorstep with two bouquets. He gave each one of us a bouquet of our favorite flowers. Avery and I were over the moon. Who wouldn't be? Our handsome date made a reservation for us at the Fairmont Copley. We get to experience wearing fancy dresses and dining in a fancy restaurant for a night. Though Art insisted on taking care of all the expenses with his money, our relentless parents didn't let him pay for it all. 

We told him to let them be since it had been their joy to care for the three of us on every occasion. And Avery and I wouldn't be comfortable making Art use up all his savings for a fun night. 

Our dinner at the Oak Long Bar + Kitchen was extraordinary. First, we got to taste the '06 Krug Grande Cuvee, Reims, France, for our champagne. Then, we shared Warm Heart Baked Bread as we devoured our New England Clam Chowder. The entrees: Sea Bass & Cape Cod Clams, Confit Half Chicken, and Tomahawk Ribeye, didn't stay long on our plates. And we went all out for dessert by ordering everything on the menu: Sticky Toffee Pudding, Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie, and Apple Crisp Pizza.

It was a dinner to remember, especially when a waiter brought three gift bags to our table. Aside from the fantastic food that filled our stomachs, the laughter we all shared after we opened our gifts for each other filled the restaurant. We ended up giving the same friendship bracelet to each other. Our parents made sure by providing us with the same gift idea—one thing we should have seen coming.

After Art paid the bill, we headed for the valet to get the car. But when we passed the elevator to the hotel, Art stopped us. 

"We still have somewhere to go," he said.

Avery and I looked at each other with widened eyes. 

"Don't tell me our parents are upstairs waiting for us!" Avery chimed in, chuckling.

Art laughed. "No, of course not!" He shook his head. "We have the Fairmont Gold Suite King reserved for us."

Avery looked at me with her mouth open, and then he stared at Art. "Are you freaking serious? Including me?" she asked again.

Art nodded. "The suite has two bedrooms. We have spa reservations too. Your moms said you have your clothes for an overnight stay and everything you'll need in our suite."

Avery and I didn't wait for another second. We held Art's hand on each side and led him inside the elevator. The elevator was filled with our giggles and loud voices. We were all speechless once we entered the suite. 

The spacious suite offered the best view of Boston's historic Back Bay, the beautiful Copley Square park, its architectural landmarks, Boston Public Library, and Trinity Church. It has two spacious bedrooms, a full marble bathroom, and a separate, elegant living room with a decorated, sleek fireplace. 

"You ladies can take the bigger room," Art declared.

Avery stood straight, placed her hands on her hips, and glared at Art and me. 

"Triple OMG! Don't tell me this is the part where you guys will tell me to pack my shit and get the hell out of here?"

"Avery Jackson, language!" I yelled.

Art laughed so hard he was holding his stomach. "I was hoping you would realize that after the spa and the swimming!"

***