-CHAPTER THREE-

“Why would you use your power on him, Wil? He probably thinks you’re using it against him.” 

“I know, Phil, it was stupid. But I'm worried, okay? I know how much of a bitch Dream is and if I’m a grown man and he still terrifies me, I can’t imagine what I’d be like for him,” Wilbur sighed, his head in his hands, elbows on the table. 

“Why all of a sudden do you care about him, though? You were screaming at Phil for bringing him home earlier and now you are acting like we have to protect him.” Techno accused him while taking a sip of his tea. Wilbur seemed to sink down more into his own guilt, accepting what Techno said. 

“I don’t know, Tech. I just care, man. He’s just a kid.” 

“It’s not your fault, Wilbur. You have to know that. The kid’s just overly sensitive right now,” Philza failed to comfort him, trying to rub the man’s arm. He just backed up, sitting far in his chair, staring up to the ceiling. 

“I tried to push him into talking and he said that he was basically scared of me, of us. The only reason he’s staging is because he feels conditioned to, like we’d hurt him if he tried to leave,” Wilbur told them softly. 

“Don’t you think that’s probably because of Dream holding him back? None of this is our fault, Wil.”

See, that was true. In a world where you are either a hero, a villain, or a bystander, a hero can’t be in the wrong. At least, according to society. Maybe some of the things they did were immoral, but they were accepted as good people because of their title. 

Wilbur saw that not every hero was just good. And Tommy thought not every villain was bad. He surely didn’t think Dream was bad. Or maybe he didn't know Dream was a villain. 

Did that make him not a villain? 

“Wil? You good?” Phil brought him back to reality, ending his ‘fun’ little session of spacing off. 

These were questions for another day.

“I’m fine.”

“You don’t seem fine,” Techno muttered. 

“I’m fine,” Wilbur repeats, his teeth gritting. His arms crossed and he gave a death stare towards the pink-ette. 

“I’m just saying, if I had that nice power of yours I would see what was wrong. Just tell us, man,” Techno insisted. Wilbur rolled his eyes. 

“You have super strength. That’s like..ten times better than reading minds.” Wilbur added sarcastically, deadpanning. 

“Okay, first of all, absolutely not true. Your power is so much better, Phil help me out here.” Techno argued nonsensically, his voice getting louder. 

“That is such a lie! I’d much rather-” 

“Both of you have equal powers, boys.” The two both rolled their eyes and muttered something along the lines of a mocking ‘right.’ “But still, Wil, are you doing okay?” 

There was a silence when Wilbur didn’t answer. 

“I’m gonna go check in on Tommy.” Techno finally broke the daze of silence, walking away as peering eyes followed him. 

Wilbur sighed, “I think I’m gonna head to bed. It’s been a long fucking day.” 

“Goodnight, Wil.” 

“‘Night.” 

It must have been past ten by the time Techno entered, maybe even closer to eleven P.M.. The room was pitch black, and Techno couldn’t imagine how Wilbur would have left him here.