-CHAPTER EIGHT-

"Tommy? Tom- shit. Shit- Techno! Techno!"

Wilbur ran back into his room, after groggily waking up at about seven, a look of worry clear on his face. His frantic yelling had woken up Techno, who now sat up on his bed, staring wide-eyed at Wilbur.

"He's- he's not here- he's not in his room, the window is open-"

"Okay, Wilbur, calm down. Tommy's not in his room?" Techno stood quickly, rushing over to Wilbur. He grabbed his hands, holding them gently.

"No, he's not-..I don't know where he is, Techno, and-" Wilbur ranted, getting cut off by a light push from Techno.

"We'll find him, Wilbur. Come on, let's go look around quick then we can assume the worst," Techno said calmly, sort of muttering the last part so he didn't worry Wilbur.

"I'm already thinking the worst, Techno."

"I'll go check Tommy's room, go through the kitchen. Look for any signs of him trying to get out or..someone trying to get in," Techno directed him, choosing to ignore what he just said.

"He can teleport. He wouldn't just-"

"We don't know if it's him, Wilbur. Just..look."

"Fine."

Tommy sleep walks. Thought that's something you should know. He was constantly tied up and locked in his room because he 'tried to get out,' when he was sleepwalking. That's part of the reason just last night, he didn't try the door. He thought it would be locked, because that was the smart thing to do in that case. So when Tommy fell asleep outside, you could only imagine what happened.
But thank the gods it wasn't what Wilbur and Techno thought it was.

It took less than an hour to find him, after Wilbur convinced Techno to at least look a bit in the woods around the house because, quote, "Tommy is smart enough to get away, if not at least leave a mark." Then they explored the idea that he had run away, which is the conclusion they came to when they found the boy sitting by a tree in the middle of the woods.

"Oh my- Tommy!" Wilbur yelled, running up to him. He was instantly at his side, checking for any sign he was injured or in pain, or..alive. But to his relief, after shaking him for a few seconds he woke up, his eyes squinting at the sudden brightness of daylight.

"The fu-?"

"Jesus fuck, Tommy. I was so worried," Wilbur held him close in a hug, that Tommy promptly pushed himself away from, confused in this whole situation.

"Wilbur, back up. You're scaring him."

"Why are you all the way out here? How did you- we were worried sick, Tommy!" Wilbur's voice raised and Tommy's eyes went wide. Techno grabbed at Wilbur's shoulder, but was shrugged off. Tommy couldn't speak, he just backed farther into the tree. Trying to stand. Wilbur's body prohibited that, so Tommy just turned his head away, almost flinching. "What if someone found you out here, Tommy? Why were you passed out in the middle of the woods!?"

"I- I'm sorry! I didn't mean to, I promise!" Tommy screeched, eyes shutting so he couldn't see the worried look on Wilbur's face. All he felt was when Techno dragged Wilbur off, forcing him into a standing position to leave the boy alone. Tommy curled up at the loss of contact, hugging himself against the tree like he was wincing in fear and anticipation that some form of pain was coming. Wilbur saw it and backed up, while Techno took over trying to talk to the child.

"Hey, Tommy. We're not mad, alright? We wouldn't be mad at you," Techno promised him, persuading the younger to even peer open his eyes to see Techno, with a toothy half-smile that was reassuring he was safe. Tommy tried to smile back, but only let out a breathy laugh that wasn't really a laugh. More like a happy sigh. He let his arm's fall to the grass, his head resting on the bark behind him. Techno sat in a squatted position, elbows on his knees as he watched the boy unravel himself. Wilbur swallowed and walked past them.