-CHAPTER SEVENTEEN-

“I’m not telling you anything!”

“Just admit it, Jubilee!” Dream laughed, throwing his hands up. “You’re afraid, aren’t you? Afraid that I might find out? That Blade might? What would he say, huh?”

“I’m not afraid of you.” Jubilee shook his head, his teeth gritting. As Dream advanced towards him again, he stumbled back a few more steps, instinctively keeping his distance from the other. With his hands tied behind his back, it was difficult to stay balanced, especially after being hit in the ankle one too many times for it to be comfortable. He drug his foot up so he was standing on his toe, but kept his ground—too scared to face Dream, but having too much pride to be backed against the wall.

 "But you are, Jubilee. I can see it. Anyone could see the look on your face, it’s hilarious.” Dream started to lower his voice, getting even closer, though this time Wilbur did not retreat. “You are a coward, Jubilee.”

“Shut up.”

“You can’t fight back.” Dream pushed at Wilbur’s shoulder, knocking him back a few steps. “You can’t even stand up straight,” he mocked.

Wilbur was louder this time, adjusting himself to regain his composure. He ignored the pain, keeping his head down. “Shut up.”

“You failed to save Tommy. You had a knife to my throat, and you couldn’t even do it!”

“Just— stop! Shut up!” Wilbur fought, failing to keep his calm. He could almost feel Dream’s devilish smile, and he felt his face heat up. His voice, his stupid, annoying voice hurt his ears. The words repeated in his head, over, and over, and over again—it was torture. Somehow, he knew exactly what to say to break Wilbur, and that’s what he hated.

“You could have killed me! But you were a coward. You,” Dream scoffed, “you were scared.”

“I’m not scared of you! I’ll kill you now!” Wilbur finally looked up from the ground, pushing his body forward into Dream’s to knock him back, though it wasn’t as effective as he hoped. Sure, the man didn’t see it coming, but now they were only inches away from each other. From this close, Wilbur could see the pointillism that dotted light coloured freckles on his nose and cheeks, and the white of his teeth in the grin that pierced through parted lips, most of the time deliberately hidden behind a white mask. He couldn’t help but look away and recoil back to the corner. “You said you wouldn’t hurt him,” he spoke quietly. “You said you wouldn’t do it again. That’s why I didn’t kill you.”

“Or, could you not do it?”

“I can do it. You give me a chance and I will.”

Dream teased Wilbur, walking closer so their space was again limited. “I don’t think you could. You couldn’t do it then, and I don’t think you have the guts to do it now. You’re weak.”

“I am not weak,” Wilbur argued, though he didn’t believe it. He played into his false hope and prayed that he had the courage. “Physically, maybe I am, but I have a reason to kill you, Dream. If I get out of here—when I get out of here, I’ll heal. I’ll be stronger again, so trust me, when I get out of here, I will.”

Dream didn’t take him seriously. “It’s really a shame you still think you can get out of here this time. You’ve been running your mouth a lot today, you know?” Wilbur bit on his lip and kept his jaw clenched shut tightly. “No strong words now, Wilbur?”

“Don’t call me that,” Wilbur mumbled under his breath.

“You know what? I think I have a solution. Maybe I can teach you to finally keep your mouth shut.” Wilbur shook his head. “Come on, you don’t think it’s a good idea?”