-CHAPTER EIGHTEEN-

The window lit up as another car passed by, then dimmed as it left. Tommy tallied this in his head, and watched for another. A car came through about every five to minutes, and though it was monotonous and boring just sitting there, the waiting held as a distraction from the feeling of looming dread and worry that had sat in the back of his head for so long. It pleasantly surprised Tommy as another car appeared and disappeared into the dark of the town. He smiled, tallying it in his head. Twenty-two.

He enjoyed the night sounds and the anticipation for another car the soft noises gave him. Every time a particularly strong gust of wind shook the leaves in the trees, he took an even deeper breath and subsided into the comfiness of the couch.

His knees were tucked up by his chest, lying comfortably against the back of the couch, and the thin blanket placed over top, snuggled closely under his chin. He stared up at the window, and tried to peer through the blinds, though there was nothing but dim stars to look at. He was comfortable here, in this state of peace in his mind. Although he couldn't sleep, no matter how hard he tried. He had been lying here for gods knows how long, awake.

He heard a creek from a floorboard, which he assumed was outside of the door, and he threw his head over to look—soon realising the noise was from inside. The boy jumped when he heard the familiar voice, and jerked his head towards the other doorway, at the end of the couch.

"Jesus christ! You almost gave me a heart attack, man." Tommy smiled, and laughed with him, as the other put a hand over his chest and slowed his breathing.

"Sorry," he muttered, lowering the blanket. He sat up straighter, creating a spot for the other to sit.

"I totally forgot you were here. I was just gonna get a drink," Bumblebee told the other, walking towards the counter while he talked. The man grabbed a glass out of one of the cupboards and filled it with water from the sink. His eyes glanced over at the full plate of food still sat on the counter from a few hours prior. "You didn't eat anything," he pointed out.
"Wasn't hungry."

"Why are you awake anyways? What is it, like, eleven?"

"I couldn't sleep," Tommy told him honestly.

"Ah, same." Bee left his glass on the table, slouching down next to the boy. "I normally can't sleep anyways. I think too much." Tommy nodded, showing he understood, but only looked back out the window, avoiding direct eye contact. Bumblebee continued to try and make conversation, despite the boy's reluctance. "What about you? Just nervous?"

"I don't know. Maybe. I think a lot too. I mean, I guess I'm trying not to think." Tommy ran his fingers through his hair, brushing it out of his eyes. "It's hard, though."

"I know what you mean. You've gone through…a lot."

"Yeah."

"How are you feeling, Thes?" Tommy hesitated, not answering. "Theseus?"

“Tommy.”

Tubbo hummed, questioning if he heard the boy correctly or not. “What?”

“My name. Tommy. So you don't have to call me…that."

Bee smiled. "Tubbo."

They sat in a comfortable silence for a while, and that was alright with both of them. Neither wanted to break the moment, staying perfectly still not to make even the slightest of sounds. They didn't have anything to say, but there was no reason to say a thing at all. Wordlessly, they were having their own conversation—and somehow both of them knew exactly what the other was saying. After what seemed like forever, which must have been half an hour [and three cars, Tommy counted], Tubbo grabbed the cup back from the table, to go and set it on the counter. Tommy’s vision had adjusted to the man's movements, and he called out as he saw the other turn to go back into the hall.