-CHAPTER NINETEEN-

Midding; the feeling of tranquil pleasure of being near a gathering but not quite in it—feeling blissfully invisible yet still fully included—safe in the knowledge that everyone and everything  you care about is together and okay.

That's what Tommy thought he felt as he sat silently at the table in a diner, watching the families in booths near them, laughing and smiling. Even seeing his two friends, joking with each other was a comforting feeling he could not describe.

He longed to be one of those kids, one with a real family that cared about him. Maybe he wished he could have had a real childhood at all. He contemplated his past with resentful desiderium, with a regretful desire for things to have been different. His viewpoints may have been nihilistic, and he knew that. He was seeing the world through different coloured glasses, and his pain had tinged them to the point of no return. He was unsalvageable in that sense, but none of that was of his concern. He saw the worst in people, but with the life he had, he would believe that was a blessing, an aluminium shield to save him from the harshness of life.

But despite that, in all honesty, he was okay where he was right now. If he could stay here with his friends, it would have been a miracle to the fragile boy. As long as he was safe. As long as the people he cared about were safe.

He hadn't realised it yet, but this would soon become past, and he would learn to mourn it.

"Hello boys, what can I get started for you this morning?" A waitress came up to the table, a wide smile clear on her face. She held a notepad in one of her hands, and a pen in the other. Her outfit matches almost perfectly with the rest of the diner, a yellow shirt with red accents. She had on a small ruby necklace that went well with it as well, and matched small earrings she had. On her shirt was a name tag, marked 'Niki'.

"Hi, I'll just start with water for now," Ranboo started, smiling at the girl. She nodded and turned to the others.
"Could I have an iced tea, please?" Tubbo asked, given a hum in response as they all looked over to Tommy.

"I'll have water as well, thanks," he mumbled, putting on a fake smile momentary as Niki listened to him.
"Alright! I'll get those started for you." She whipped around, going back from wherever she came from to grab drinks for the three.

Tommy nervously looked over to Ranboo, who was sitting across from Tubbo and him, and whispered softly. "I don't exactly have money to pay for this."

Ranboo laughed as he turned to the boy. "You don't have to. It's on us. Promise."
Tubbo leaned over to Tommy's ear, adding, "You did successfully rob a store with us, you know. I'd say that's enough payment." Ranboo glared at him, silently telling him to keep his voice down. Tubbo only giggled like a kid.

"I'm not even that hungry. Can I just steal some of your guys' food?"

"Yeah. You can have my fries. I don't like them."

"Hey! I always have them!"

"He asked first."

Ranboo huffed, acting disappointed, though he was slightly released Tommy was even eating. He knew he wasn't the only one who noticed the full plate still on the counter as they spoke.

Tommy smiled and sat back in his seat, continuing to quietly listen to the many conversations around him. This was nice, and it seemed like nothing could ruin it. [That thought made him rethink everything, and realise he was very very wrong. A lot could have ruined this, but nothing would—and that's why he wasn't worried about it.]

Other than a quick word to their waitress telling her that he would just be sharing, Tommy was quiet, though he was content. Tubbo and Ranboo didn't force him to talk, and were perfectly fine with the few nods and shrugs he added to comment on what they were saying.