Part 19

Kaaya POV 

After my embarrassing (yet satisfying) moment with Adler, I was just happy he didn't wake up. Otherwise, I would die of embarrassment. Seriously, what the hell was I thinking! Anyways, more importantly, the race was today and since I woke up before Adler, I took the time begin my preparations including packing some food, water, and making sure that Adler didn't tamper with the boat. I knew I wasn't going to win the race, but I could at least save both villages before he finds and kills everyone. Even though, he may have not killed everyone yet, I know his jealously and hate against humans has no bounds. Sooner or later, he may use them to blackmail me and kill them anyway. I don't trust him. 

As I try to quietly pack all my belongings as quiet possible, I hear Adler stirring from the half submerged stone he sleeps against. I pretend to not hear him as I feel heavy gaze on me. I could feel him checking out my bottom and I remember what happened last night. My face suddenly feels hot and I shake my head trying to get rid of any such thoughts.  

"Kaaya, look at me." Adler practically demands and I pray my blush is gone as I slowly turn to look at him. He has a smirk on his face and he does a quick look over even though I wasn't even wearing anything remotely attractive at the moment. 

"Seems like you've had a busy night." I look him wide-eyed, shaking my head. 

"What do you mean?! I did no such thing with you right beside me. For heaven's sake, I can't even go out to get some fresh air without you pestering me." Good going Kaaya. Totally doesn't sound like your guilty at all. 

Adler just smirks at me, seeming to know something I don't. I just look at him suspiciously and shake my head. 

"Anyways, we have our race today. I have already finished my preparations and I wanted to know when we will be starting." I ignore his stupid smirk and shift the conversation back to business. 

Adler just frowns at me. "Aww you want to leave me so quickly my darling? After all the fun we had..." I glare at him and he just sighs. "Alright, my dear Kaaya, we can start any time you are ready. After all, I don't need much to prep anyway." 

I nod my head, eager to start as soon as possible. "We can start now. I have finished my preparations." He just nods and smirks, already knowing he is going to win the race. 

I get onto my motor boat as Adler remains in his human form to make it fair for as per the terms we agreed on. We count down at the same time from 5. 

5....4....3...2...1...Go! 

Before I knew it, Adler rushed to the the opposite direction as I started the motorboat as fast as it could go. I needed to get to the relocated village and help everyone get out quickly. I have a feeling this race is going to take much more time than the previous one. After this race, I do not think that Adler is going to have much patience with me, especially since he knows that he is going to win anyway. Part of me regrets making decision, while another part is just happy I can have a few days to myself and help the villagers escape Adler's gaze. 

As I continue to travel in silence, I estimate that its going to be another hour or so until I reach the village. Luckily, this motorboat is pretty fast (at least according for human standards). I decide to take a quick nap on the boat as stress fills me to do everything as fast as I can since the direction to the village is a straight path anyways. 

When I wake up from my quick nap, I see the village buildings in the close distance. I soon reach the village's land and everyone perks up at presence. 

"Kaaya? Is that you? What happened?? Where were you? How are you not dead?" I hear familiar voices call out to me and question me as I slowly approach the center of the town. 

I quickly stand on the podium used for village announcements and speeches. 

"Greetings everyone, new faces and familiar. Some of you may already know me, but I will introduce myself to those from the new village. My name is Kaaya and I am that the one of asked for my village to be relocated and combined with the new one. It has been some time since you have last seen me as I was trying to save you all from the dreaded beast that roams the waters nearby. I am afraid that we all cannot stay here for too long since the beast knows of this location and of all the people that reside here. We must relocate elsewhere as soon as possible." 

I hear confused murmurs around me and I understand that some people may have some questions. The murmurs pause as a brave voice asks a question out loud. 

"Why should we trust you? How do you even know that the creature or whatever even knows our location? How you been conspiring with it?" The woman's accusing voice pierces through me. I examine her and realize that she is my age. She must have been through a lot in life to be so doubtful of others words. I hear protests of agreement around me as I think of what to say next. 

"Please listen dear villagers. I know a lot of you may not trust me since half you don't even know who I am, but please just listen. I admit that I have been communicating with the creature, but I have only done so for your sakes. The creature was going to kill me and my whole village until I made a deal with it. As long you stay away from its sights, it will not kill you. In return, it asks me to report back to it as some sort of reassurance that my half of the deal is done." It was not the complete the truth, but I fear that the village is going to label me insane if I told them the cold truth. My message seemed to good enough as the already superstitious villagers decide to be safe rather than sorry. I feel myself starting to relax until I hear a familiar voice yell out at me. 

"A witch! She's a witch! Do not listen to her cursed speeches! She has already forced us to move once for no reason and now she is planning to sacrifice us to the beast!" Everyone quickly quiets down as they look wide-eyed at the man who speaks. My eyes immediately come in contact with Archis' eyes. He continues his deluded speech with a smirk on his face. "She is just a mere woman who decides to trick others for her own gain! Do not listen to her!" I glare at him with hatred as he has the audacity to wink at me. Immediately, the crowd becomes unsettled as people start to turn against me. 

"Yeah, who made her queen and gave her the audacity to tell us what to do?!" 

"It's our village and how dare she give us no say?" 

"Was she always like this before? Perhaps that beast has poisoned her mind! We must get rid of her or else she will always lead us to doom!" 

"Ma always told me that educated women were going to be the death of us!" 

I feel my heart sinking at all these complaints. I have to get out of here before they start throwing stuff at me! I quickly rush of the podium and decide to find my family. Heck, I do not even know where they are at this point. But, before I could do so, I run into someone. I look up and see the same woman who initially doubted my speech which subsequently lead to everyone opposing me. I glare at her and try to run past her, but she grabs my arm. 

"Do you want to go somewhere safe or not??" She rudely questions me, but I am no position to oppose as I begrudgingly nod and she drags me off somewhere else. 

How did everything come to this? I just wanted to save my new village, but now I fear I might get shunned or worse. Who knows how the future events are going to unfold...I just hope that Adler does not find about this unfortunate turn of events or else I fear what he is going to do.