Part 9

I look away as I feel his intense gaze on my lips, waiting for me to speak.

"Why did you take me here? Why didn't you kill me?" I quietly the two questions that have been running through my head the past few minutes. He looks at me for a few moments before answering me.

"I was lonely. There is no reason for me to kill you." He says naturally, while my eyes widen in surprise.

"Why me?" I ask quietly. Adler doesn't respond, his eyes just darken as he looks at me. I gulp slowly and his eyes trace my movements, making me more uncomfortable.

I decide that I should at least try to escape. With that thought in mind, I get up and try to find a way out of this place. Before, I could take a step, Adler's arms trap me in place and I press myself against the cave wall. I could feel his warm breath on face as I look down at the ground.

"W-what are you doing?" I ask shakily.

"Looking at you." He says simply as though he didn't just trap me between his arms. I make a squeaking sound. Goodness, can he release me yet?

"Don't leave me." He says suddenly and lets go of me. I look at him in shock. He sounded so desperate and vulnerable. I imagine him all by himself without anyone to talk to or confide it. It must have also been painful being the inhuman being in this world of humans. I decide on what to do when he talks again.

"How about we play a game? If I win, you have to stay here with me. Since, you want to go home so badly, if you win, you won't have to worry about me again." He said emotionlessly, a sharp contrast to his vulnerable voice previously. I don't want to just leave him here alone, but I also want to go back to my family. I nod in agreement. It's just a game, isn't it? How hard can it be?

Adler smiled a toothy smile at me and I look away. "Can you run fast?" He asks suddenly. Startled, I look at him. Run? I suppose I can run pretty fast. Not to gloat, but I do think I am the fastest one in my village.

"I suppose..." I say shyly. I don't like too much attention on me.

Adler smiles once again, this time more devilish. I mentally prepare for what he is about to say next.

"Ok. This game will be a race. Obviously, I will be in the water since I can't run..." He lifts his tentacles for emphasis. "I heard there are a lot of rivers near your village. There is one river in particular which connects to this ocean and is wide enough for me to swim through. You can run alongside of the river, while I, in the water." He explains.

It seems fair enough. But wait..."Wait a second! What about my village, won't they be curious as to where I am going for a long time? And what about your kraken form? It isn't fair." I phrase my words carefully as to not anger Adler.

"I ask you to evacuate your village. As to where...there is another village a mile or two away from here on the other side of the forest. I can tell you the directions and you can lead them there. I ask this of you because no one must know about me as they may fear me due to my appearance. To make things fair, I will swim in my human form." He replies.

I nod my head, agreeing with his idea. I remember something else I have to add to our deal. "One more thing. If I win, don't hurt or endanger anyone in my village."

He nods. "If you add something to your side, I would like to add something to my side. If I win, I will kill everyone in your village. Except you. You cannot take the deal back" He says darkly. I almost back out of the deal when I see the bloodlust in his eyes. I may have overestimated myself and underestimated him. I am too scared to ask him why he won't kill me, but I decide not to in case he changes his mind.

I nod hesitantly, not having a choice. With that nod, the deal began.