Part 24

Kaaya POV

After Ruben helps me out by providing me her cloak to wrap around me as she walks me back to our mini-camp. She also tells me that she was going for a walk to look for more supplies and see if there is any wild life nearby that she could hunt for our food. She gave me the perfect opportunity for some privacy to change which I am grateful for, but I can't help but feel a little nervous with my unknown stalker nearby. I try to think about who it could be. Adler? No, Adler wouldn't break our promise like that. Anyways, if I lose, I would be his anyway so I knew he wouldn't have a problem with waiting a little bit longer. Archis? No, Ruben beat up that a*shole and I am assuming that the village found him and took him back. Tyer? I was about to dismiss the thought until I recalled his past behavior toward me when and before I left. Well, he was displaying possessive tendencies, but would he really go far enough to stalk me? Would he really disrespect me and our friendship like that? I shake my head to myself. I don't know. I really don't know. I want to hope it's not Tyer, but right now, I can't really think of anyone else who want to stalk me right. Unless a new player has entered this weird obsession game with me as well. I giggle to myself nervously. Please no. 

I hear footsteps approaching just I finished changing and make eye contact with Ruben, relief filling my chest. She comes back with a couple of fruits and nuts she found around here and I eye them hungrily. 

She smirks. "Hungry baby girl?" I blush and shake my head. Baby girl? What the heck...sounds like something Adler or Tyer would say. I gulp nervously. Ruben wasn't falling for me too was she? I bit my lip nervously as I decide how to address her hypothetical feelings. I shake my head to myself. I must be going crazy, thinking so far out into things like this. I must be conceited, thinking everyone was falling for me, right? And anyways, friends call each cute nicknames like this, right? 

Ruben smirk is gone as her eyes wander down my body as I shift uncomfortably. Was she judging my body now or something? 

"You need eat or else you won't be able to stand on those weak legs for so long? You're so dang small, I seriously wonder how you survive sometimes..." She wonders out loud. 

"H-hey! I am not small! You're the one who's 6'2 or something!" I complain to her. 

She smirks at me again. "Well can't argue with that doll." Ruben and her dang nicknames. They really shouldn't be affecting me as much as they currently are as I shyly look down. "Come here." 

My eyes shoot up to hers as her commanding voice catches my attention. I nervously sit down next to her on the log that we apparently deemed as our makeshift chair. She huffs under her breath and pulls me onto her as I squeak in embarrassment. 

"W-what are d-doing?" My voice trembles as I question her. 

"Shh...I am going to be the one asking questions." Her fingers run down my thighs as I try to stifle any noises coming out of mouth. I try to wiggle out of her arms, but they only tighten around me more. 

I gulp nervously, a little scared at her sudden dominant attitude. I thought we were going to be good friends, but she obviously wants to be more than that. On another day, I probably would be flattered, but with so much already going around me, I just wished I that I had someone to confide in. 

"So doll, tell me, how many people do you have even interested in you right now? I know about that one cocky f*cker and the other monster weirdo, but is that really everything?" Ruben looks at me with narrowed as I mentally contemplate whether I should tell her everything about Tyer too. I have discussed those two because they were relevant in the moment and she needed a little understanding of my background, but based on her behavior, she seems a little volatile and I have can easily guess how she feels toward me. If I tell her about more about Adler and how I first met him beyond the game, I have a feeling that her rage is going to increase. I bite lips unconsciously and Ruben notices as she tightens her grip on me. My attention shifts back to her. 

"R-ruben, can you let me go first? Your grip is um a little tight..." 

Ruben narrows her eyes at me, not answering my question. So, it is a no then. I sigh and decide not to tell her everything because even though she is coming with me to "deal" with Adler, I don't want her already evolving possessive tendencies to get worse. I also won't tell her about Tyer and how he is starting to scare me either because I am scared of how she is going to react when she has yet another rival to deal with, assuming she likes me. 

"Look, so far, it's only Adler who is the biggest issue since my whole village and potential other villages are at risk here. I know that I won't be able to beat him on my own so I am really glad that you are accompanying me. Thank you for that by the way. And regarding Archis, the guy you beat up before, he is just a perverted psychopath and it would be best not be involved with him. I hate that guy. He almost tried to kill me-" 

"He what." Ruben cuts me off as I realize that I accidentally said too much. Shoot. 

"N-nothing! It really was nothing! I meant he tried to kill my happiness..." I laugh nervously as I know I am failing miserably at covering myself. Ruben just glares at me, seemingly knowing that I lied to her. Feeling a dangerous aura around her, I tried to get off the log and stand up to create some space between us. Ruben just grips my wrist harder, preventing me from getting up. I gasp a little in pain which she pays no mind. 

"What the f*ck did you say. Finish talking." Her voice was laced with anger and I felt some sort of primal fear inside of me as my eyes start to water. I feel so scared and stressed. What's up with the people around me getting so angry and crazy recently? I just wanted to live life in peace...

Ruben seems to notice my watery eyes and immediately lets go of me wrist and stands up. I look up at her questioningly, subtly trying to stop myself from crying. She just gives me an emotionless look and walks off with a simple don't move. 

Watching her walk off in the distance made me even more emotional and I felt the tears dripping down my cheeks. The stress from the race, the situation with Archis, my worries about Tyer, my homesickness and longing for my family...they all came rushing out at once and before I knew it, I was sitting on the log and staring at the fire that Ruben started, wondering where everything went wrong. 

I wipe my tears trying to stop myself from crying before Ruben came back. Who knows what she's going to do once she sees me crying. I look at the fire and realize that it must have already been at 2-3 days since the race began and I have been traveling with Ruben to the mountain. I am still not sure why she suddenly decided to tag along, but I have small inkling that she had feelings for me based on her mannerisms around me. I am fine if she has a little crush on me, but I hope it doesn't get worse later on. I already have so much on my plate. 

Ruben POV 

Once I saw my girl tearing up, I couldn't do it. I needed some time to think to myself. I was so angry, not at her, but at everything she is going through. She is sweet and innocent and seeing her deal with so many f*ckers at once pisses me off. I seriously wonder how she managed to survive on her for long without anyone to protect her. She needs someone strong with her since she's so fragile. I also hate how she lied to me. She doesn't understand that I only want to help and protect her! She could trust me! Not going to lie, it does kinda hurt. Whatever though. I am with her all now and that's all that matters. Now, I just to make sure that I am the only one that matters to her. She doesn't need anyone else, I could protect her better than anyone else. 

I am going f*cking kill that damn monster thing that forced into this stupid race in the first place and then I am going to castrate that damn pervert that tried to force himself on her. These damn men always be making everything so complicated. She doesn't need them. I am way better than them. They are just going to corrupt her. I am also going to find out what she's hiding from me. Good little girls don't hide anything from their protectors. She going to tell me on her own one day and if she doesn't...well...there's are always certain measures I could to take to help her speak. After all, I am all of this for her own safety. Without me, she would be a goner. 

I am too lost in my own thoughts until I hear Kaaya scream. My eyes immediately widen and run quickly back to our mini-camp to see what in the world dared to scare my little girl. I crack my knuckles as my thoughts fill ways to torture whoever or whatever scared my girl.