Just a gig

Hailee

"Five minutes, Hailee," her manager, Jameson said through the closed door. Hailee nodded as she turned back to the mirror in front of her. She did one last check of her makeup before standing up. She grabbed the guitar leaning against the wall, took one last look at herself, then stepped out of the dressing room.

Sometimes it was still hard to believe that she was as successful as she was. Of course, she wasn't touring, she wasn't selling out concerts, but she was doing gigs at local bars around Broadway in Nashville. That was how many major country stars got their start. They would play local gigs, then eventually get lucky. She doubted she would have the kind of success Garth Brooks or Alan Jackson have had, but a girl could dream.

Hailee stood off to the side of the stage as the bartender stepped up to the microphone. "Hey, y'all! I'm super excited to introduce a local celebrity! She plays here regularly, and we're going to see her on a big stage one day, I know it. Hailee Greenfield!"

As the bartender stepped away from the microphone, the crowd in the bar started cheering. The bartender smiled as she stepped back behind the bar as Hailee grinned, waving at everyone as she stepped on the stage. She took a seat at the barstool in front of the microphone.

"Hey Nashville, how are y'all doing?" She said into the microphone. She smiled, watching as people held up their drinks. She chuckled. "I'm glad I get to be here with y'all tonight." As she spoke, she began slowly strumming. "As usual, I'll do a couple of covers, then I'll do an original. Maybe I'll take a few requests after." She smiled again, glancing down at her guitar before back up at the people watching. Her eyes scanned the crowd for a moment before she began to sing.

I'm hell on heels
Say what you will
I done made the devil a deal
He made me pretty
He made me smart
And I'm gonna to break me a million hearts
I'm hell on heels, baby, I'm comin' for you

Hailee continued strumming and singing until her set list was over. Time for her favorite part, requests. She smiled as her eyes scanned the crowd again. "It's that time of the night. Does anyone have any requests?" She said into the microphone. As expected, people started yelling out various suggestions, but she heard one suggestion that made her laugh.

"In honor of Tennessee beating Alabama last night..." she paused as the bar erupted in cheers. It had been years since the Volunteers were a force to be reckoned with, but everything had changed this year. On queue, the bartender turned the music on as she set her guitar to the side, and more cheers erupted.

Wish that I was on ol' Rocky Top
Down in the Tennessee hills
Ain't no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top
Ain't no telephone bills
Once I had a girl on Rocky Top
Half bear, other half cat
Wild as a mink, but sweet as soda pop
I still dream about that
Rocky Top, you'll always be
Home sweet home to me
Good ol' Rocky Top
Rocky Top, Tennessee

Hailee grinned as she finished the song. Her school's fight song, especially this time of year, was always going to be a favorite of hers.

"Thanks y'all. It's been great playing for you tonight!" She stood up, waving before carrying her guitar off stage. She stepped back to the dressing room, leaning her guitar against the wall. She checked her outfit- a pair of black sequin bell bottom jeans with a simple white t-shirt loosely tucked in, with a belt, a pair of boots, and a black hat. She took a deep breath before exiting her dressing room, making her way to the bar.

"Margarita, thanks," she said to Lainey. Lainey nodded and grinned as she stepped towards the margarita glasses and began making Hailee's drink. "You did incredible. I can't wait until we get to see you on bigger stages though!" Lainey yelled over the noise.

Hailee shrugged as Lainey gave her the drink. She took a drink and turned, leaning against the bar as she watched the people around her.

"Thanks for taking my request," a voice said beside her. "Gotta pay respect to our Vols."

Hailee turned around quickly, looking up at the man near her. The lights were dim, and she squinted a bit to tell who she was talking to. "When we've got a team like we do this year, of course we have to pay respect." She chuckled. "I'm Hailee Greenfield. And you are?" She held out her hand.

"Morgan. Morgan Wallen." The man said, shaking her hand. Hailee's breath caught in her throat.

*****

Author's Note:
I really hope you like this first chapter! I absolutely adore Morgan, I find him so talented. This is the first actual *hopefully* good fanfic I've ever written. I wrote ones when I was younger, but I cringe as I read them now.

Let me know if y'all have any suggestions or comments! Please don't forget to like and save the story, then follow me!! I have huge plans for this.