Turned Down

Hailee

As Hailee walked up the stairs to her apartment, she kept a smile on her face. She had loved Morgan's music for so long, and she definitely didn't expect him to hear her sing one day. She took a shower, rinsing off the smell of alcohol and cigarettes that had stuck to her clothes. As soon as she turned the water off, she heard her phone buzz on the counter beside her.

Unknown number: Hailee? It's Morgan. It was great to get to meet you tonight. You're really talented.

Hailee smiled as she read the text. Her fingers hovered over the keys, contemplating a reply. Finally, she started typing.

H: Likewise. And thank you. I've been singing for years. I'm trying to get ready to audition for The Voice or American Idol or something.

She sent the message, then set her phone down. She picked up her hairbrush and began brushing through her hair as she waited for a reply.

M: You should go for it. But hey, I was wondering if I could take you out on a date while I'm back home?

As Hailee read the message, she smiled for a minute, but quickly, her mind started racing and the smile faded from her face. Her fingers hovered over the keyboard before she finally just locked her phone, setting it down without replying.

She couldn't deny that Morgan was attractive. But she had experience with dating musicians, and it didn't turn out well. She thought back to her last serious boyfriend, Jamie. She remembered when he began performing. He had done well enough to get the chance to open for some bigger singers. She remembered one day, surprising him on the tour bus on one of their stops. He didn't know that she was in town, but he got back on the bus, drunk, with another girl. Hailee had wasted no time, leaving before Jamie had the chance to start apologizing. She remembered the heartache she had the following months. Three years, down the drain. She didn't want to make that mistake again, falling for another musician.

After several minutes, Hailee picked up her phone again and sent a reply.

H: I loved meeting you, but I would like for us to just be friends. I'd love to hang out though as friends.

She took a deep breath and leaned town towards the sink, splashing some cold water on her face. She was sure Morgan would be upset, but he would have to get over it. She couldn't put herself through that level of hurt again. A few moments later, her phone buzzed again.

M: That's fine. I get that. Im down for being your friend.

Hailee raised her eyebrows in surprise as she read the message. She smiled a bit, typing one last message before setting her phone down for the night.

H: perfect. Goodnight, Wallen.

****

Author's note: I'm excited to get further into this story. Im excited for y'all to get the chance to experience what I have planned!! As always, if you have any suggestions or comments, let me know.