Chapter Two - The New Restaurant

~ He looked up with a smile as I approached

~ He looked up with a smile as I approached. "Hey, Honey." ~

- Barry B. Benson

.+*   *+.

"Hey, ya like jazz?" Barry asked me the next day during lunch at the office. He was sipping from a paper cup next to the water cooler, leaning against the water tank with a charming smile.

"From time to time," I giggled, "Why do you ask?"

"Well, there's this new restaurant that opened a couple weeks ago, and I don't have anyone to try it out with—" he flew from his spot at the water cooler and perched upon my shoulder, "So what d'ya say, Y/N? I could invite Shrek too, if he's up for it."

"Sure," I agreed, flattered, "But only if you tell me where it is we're going."

Barry gave a chuckle and winked at me with roguish charm. "You'll just have to wait and see, Sugar."

I huffed and pouted like a cute anime girl. "Fine, but this place had better be good!"

He winked at me again, which got my heart fluttering. "Oh, it will be, Baby Cakes." He winked at me once more, to which I gave a cute scoff in my adorable anime girl voice.

 The rest of the day I was excitedly glancing at the clock before work ended, nearly sprinting out the door when the clock struck five o' clock.

I stopped by at home briefly, getting on my favorite dress and slipping into my fanciest shoes. If I was hitting up the town with Barry B. Benson, I'd have to look stunning!

"Hey, Barry!" I shouted to my winged friend who was already waiting outside of the restaurant, casually scrolling through his bphone. I jogged up to meet him like a cute anime girl.

He looked up with a smile as I approached. "Hey, Honey."

"Oh, stop it~!" I swatted at him playfully, getting right down to business. "So, is Shreky-pie coming?"

"Nah, he had some... prior engagements," he replied without elaboration.

"But that's not what's important," he said, shaking his head, the charming smirk returning to his face, "Shall we?"

He held out his am for me to loop my arm through.

"We shall!"

The restaurant was not what I'd initially expected. The new carpets were plush, dyed a rich crimson to accentuate the cream colored walls. Chandeliers were evenly spaced through the dining room, crystals dripping luxuriously from their vantage on the beautiful lights. The tablecloths that were draped across the tables were the same color as the carpets, and a bouquet candle pair adorned each of them, casting a romantic glow on the customers respectively.

"Welcome to The New Italian Restaurant! Do you two have a reservation?"

My eyes fell on the--dare I say--sexiest man I've ever seen in my life; a tall hedgehog with blue spikes and dashing, forest green eyes. 

"Yes, table for two, Benson, please." Said Barry, flashing his charming grin at our waiter.

BUT THE HEDGEHOG WAS UNFZED BY HIS GORGEOUS CHARM!!!

"Alrighty, my name's Sonic, I'll be your waiter this evening!" 

He smiled, grabbed a couple of menus, then walked ahead, leading us to a romantic corner booth with a bouquet of roses dazzling the table.

"I'll be back soon to get those drink orders, please enjoy!"

We took our seats and opened the menus. I caught Barry giving me a sensual look before carefully lowering his eyes to the menu before him. I blushed like a cute anime girl, gently touching a hand to my burning cheek that I could feel warming up in my embarrassment.

I glanced down at the table to distract myself, quickly taking note of the silverware that had been laid out for us. The cutlery of the new restaurant reminded me of Italian cuisine. I blushed at the thought, thinking of Waluigi.

NO! I scolded myself. I need to focus on what's important right now, and that's Barry!

I glanced up at his cute face, his tongue sticking out between his teeth in thought. 

He's so cute... What do I do? Should I try to make conversation?

"So, sugar lumps," Barry said in a lustful voice, passionate music playing tenderly in the background, "What do ya think? This fancy enough for you?"

He gave me a wink and I giggled like a cute anime girl, turning my eyes to the restaurant sheepishly.

"It's wonderful, I love it, Barry."

He gazed into my eyes, gently placing a hand over mine on the table. The tension between us was thicck as gravy simmering on the stove. Anime sparkles appeared around us, and everyone within our vicinity murmured in awe, giving soft "Oooh's" and "Aww's" and "Oooh's" and "Aww's". I glanced suggestively down at his lips, and his eye lids fell half-mast, a delicate blush adorning his cheekbones.

We leaned in ever so closely, the music in the background swelling as we inched closer, and closer.

"WAIT--" I gasped, putting a hand to his lips, "It's too soon!"

Tears budded in his eyes, balancing on his waterline. "I understand, my lady. Your heart belongs to another. As you wish, my lady." He said with a sigh, turning away as tears threatened to spill over. 

I daintily covered my mouth with my hand, muffling a sob before abruptly getting to my feet and dashing towards the door. 

"I'm sorry, my love," I sobbed. We weren't facing each other, but I knew that he had heard me. I knew that he understood.

As my heels clicked against the concrete, I knew that I looked just like a cute anime girl.