Chapter 13

The man in front of me froze. The cloth remained wrapped around the gun in his hands. Slowly, he turned his head around. His eyes were more aged than before. He looked like he'd seen too many wars. I probably didn't look any better. He's more muscular than before, his muscles still visible from under the cover of his shirt. He studies my face, looking into my eyes and eyeing my body up and down. Not with lust, but as if he's trying to compare a picture to real life. The room is silent and I can feel a voice in my head squeezing for some sort of recognition from him. He lifts himself out of the chair and slowly walks towards me. His partner looks confused. Jess kneels in front of me and grabs my chin softly, rubbing my cheek with his thumb. The look in his eyes is full of brotherly love and devotion. I gave a smile of relief. This was the brother I remembered.
"I can't believe you're alive." He pulled me into a tight hug, the breath I didn't realize I was holding released. His partner relaxed. I wrapped my arms around my brothers back and squeezed back. I felt a few tears escape my eyes.
"Shhh...it's ok." My brother soothed me, patting my hair down. I just hugged tighter. I haven't seen him in years. Even before the world went to hell...he just disappeared. One day he wasn't in his apartment, and I hadn't heard a word from him. No note. No phone calls or texts. Nothing. I was angry for such a long time, but eventually I just missed my brother. All the anger I felt dissipated.

The back door burst open and my friends had their guns raised. Glenn was in front, a look of anger and confidence plastered on his face. Maggie and Michonne were off to his side, their guns held up with true aim. All three looked deadly.

"Let her go!" Glenn demanded. Maggie cocked her gun. My brothers friend reached for his gun at his hip.
"Don't even try buddy." Maggie said. Michonne looked at me with confusion. I unlatched myself from Jess and stood up. I turned around to face my friends.

"Put your guns down before you do something you regret." I say, giving my brother a hand. I pulled him up and he stood behind me. I crossed my arms over my chest and looked at them all. Glenn gave me a confused look, but no one lowered their guns. My brothers partner had his hand on his holster.

"This is my brother Jess. And his partner..."

"Zach." The man finished for me. I nodded and faced my friends again. Their faces softened, and eventually they lowered their guns. They looked to Jess and I, no doubt trying to find the resemblance. There wasn't much considering we had different fathers. But we each have blue eyes and blonde hair. That's pretty much where the resemblance stopped.
"You have a brother?" Maggie questioned. I nearly rolled my eyes.
"Yes. I thought he was dead." I turned and smiled at him again. He looked down at me and grinned, that lopsided tooth showing, dumb brother grin.
"We have a group." I say to him.
"Where?" He didn't want to be parted from me either.
"A prison. An hour or so out." He nods and then looks to his friend. Zach looks around uncomfortably, then his eyes land on Jess. He gives a short nod.
"I'll follow you anywhere." He says lowly. Jess nods and then looks back to me.
"Alright. Lead us there. I'll get my truck."
"Wait. You have the same truck?" I ask, surprised he would still have my baby. When he disappeared, he took my truck with him. That was a little harder to get over. He grinned and nodded. I laughed and followed him out of the door, Zach, Maggie, Glenn, and Michonne following after us.
"How many are in your group?" Jess asks.
"I don't think we've had a head count. 30? 40?" I reply. He looks at me wide eyed.
"Most are new. Just saved their asses from some asshole named the governor." I think that about sums up the story. Glenn snickers from behind me. Jess stops and grabs my arm.
"The governor?" He asks. I raise an eyebrow.
"Yes. Creepy ass dude with an eyepatch." I explain. A flash of recognition crosses my brothers face.
"You know him don't you?" I crossed my arms and looked into his eyes. His eyes go dark and he looks to Zach. I turn my head to look at Zach, who's eyes are black with anger as well.
"What the hell happened?" I ask them both. Glenn, Maggie, and Michonne listen intently, intrigued as well. Jess and Zach remain quiet while starring at each other for some time, before Jess looks back at me.
"We used to have a group. Maybe a couple hours out. Really small. 2 kids, Zach and I, and 4 other people." Jess closes his eyes as I see his jaw tighten.
"The fucking Governor came across us in the woods and slaughtered them all. Zach and I were out gathering supplies. When we returned, the governor and his pigs were just leaving. They turned back at us and smiled...then they left." At this point my hand is plastered over my mouth. My eyes wide with horror. Glenn looks sad, along with Maggie. Michonne is just looking down. Zach has his fists clenched and I think there's tears in his eyes.
"He killed my wife and kids." Zach said, looking up to reach my eye. A wounded animal is what he reminds me of. I reach for his arm and give a squeeze.
"I'm sorry. He killed my little sister who I practically raised. I understand." He nods his head before looking down again. Jess looks at me, his eyes tearing up. Eve was very young when Jess disappeared, but she was still his little sister. I gave him a look saying I would expplain later, as I did not want to get into it right now. Everyone seems sad, remembering their losses in this moment. I shake Eve out of my thoughts and straighten my back. We need to get out of here before anything bad happens.
"Glenn, Maggie, go get the baby formula and whatever else you think we'll need. Meet us out front when you're done. Michonne I want you to look around for any knives or bullets, we never have enough. Look for arrows too just in case Daryl needs any." My heart tightens at the thought of him. I shake him from my thought.
"Zach, can you go find anything medical? Pills, bandages, disinfectant, shit like that. You two meet us out front too. Jess and I will pull the trucks around out front and pick you up." They all nod, their minds distracted with the new tasks they were given. I knew it would help. Glenn throws the keys to the truck to me. They turn to leave.
"Oh and, just in case something happens and the front is blocked, head for the back. We'll meet you there." They nod again and set off further into the department store.