Chapter 3

It's not that these people are stupid, though I'm sure at some point that'll change, they're just ignorant. They don't think. I asked what the house looked like so I could find it, and Maggie said it was "white". I had to force myself to not scoff at her. A lot of houses around here are white, how about any other descriptions. What were the windows like? What did the front yard look like? Were there rocks or grass? Daryl noticed the look on my face and filled me in on more details. He explained the truck that was in the driveway, out of gas and no battery, and the lawn is really overgrown. Or so he says.
A few minutes later I'm informed that we're close by someone, though I wasn't paying attention so I didn't know who. Honestly, I was thinking about Daryl. He'd let his hair grow out more since the last time I saw him, which, I had to admit, turned me on. Long hair always has. His blue eyes reminded me of the first time at the beach. I had gone with my mom...my eyes teared up and I ignored the memory, sending it deep down in my mind where it belonged. I smoothed my hand over my hair, tossing some back.
〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰
I saw a house with a F 1-50 in the drive way and the grass was over run with weeds and walkers. Some were on the lawn, others were crowded around the door.
"That one?" I asked no one in particular.
"That one." Maggie responded, her eyes glued on the walkers. They were right, a couple dozen at the least were crowded around. I tried to think of a good plan, but since the truck didn't have a battery, my plans quickly faded to one. To just go out there and kill as many as possible without getting bit. Seemed like a good plan to me. While everyone was thinking to themselves in the truck, I pulled my sword out of its spot by my feet and opened the trucks door.
"What the hell are you doing?" Maggie shrieked quietly.
"We need a plan!" Rick chimed along. Daryl remained silent, watching me intently. I wanted to squirm in his gaze, but forced myself to look away and shut my door. A few walkers took notice and shuffled toward me. I unsheathed my sword and swiftly cut into their heads. The bodies fell limp on the ground. Six more noticed me, a few falling off the steps to the house. I calculated which ones were the greater threat. An arrow lodged itself in one of them, and I saw Daryl reloading his crossbow. Rick and Maggie jumped out of the truck and went after a few too. Maggie almost got over taken by 3, but Daryl intervened once again, saving her ass. I would have scoffed, but I had walkers of my own to deal with. One was very determined it would get my arm, but I pulled my knife from my boot and stuck it in his skull. He let out a groan and remained still on the ground. His shirt was ripped into shreds and smelled worse than most. He must have been one of the first to turn. While the others were busy, I saw the door was nearly clear. One stubborn walker still pounded, but he was easy to take care of. I knocked on the door quickly and wondered if this person would answer.
"Glenn it's your damn rescue team answer the fucking door!" I shouted, and disposed of a couple more walkers who's attention I received. I heard a soft pound inside the house, probably from this guys boots. The door opened a crack and a Korean looking guy peered through.
"I don't know you."
"Yeah well your girlfriends a little busy at the moment." I pushed the door open and grabbed the man buy his shirt and pulled him after me. One walker was left, which Daryl disposed of quickly. His hair swayed from his movements and I forced myself to shove him out of my mind. Maggie looked at me, panting, and then saw Glenn. She ran for him, knocking him from my grasp. They hug tightly and I scoff, walking back to my truck. The sun shines on it beautifully, reminding me of the time before all this. When my dad first took me hunting, shooting my first deer. I smile to myself at that one. I barely knew how to hold a gun, let alone shoot a full grown deer. I was squealing with joy.
As I opened my door, a heard a snarl and smelled rotting flesh. Before I could grab my knife, the walker bit down on my arm. I screamed in pain, jabbing my knife in its skull, kicking it as it fell.
"Fuck!" I screamed again. Daryl came running over, a slight fear in his eyes. He ripped a piece off his shirt and wrapped it around my arm. The bite was deep, and bleeding heavily. I grunted as he tied it.
"Shit." Rick came around, Maggie and Glenn following.
"I'll be fine." I respond calmly, placing my things in the truck.
"No, you won't. You'll turn and I'll have to shoot you." Daryl replied, a little coldly.
"Did you guys seriously not see it?" I ask them.
"See what?" Maggie asked. I sighed and whipped my shirt off again. I pointed to an old bite on my back, healed over through time. It ached just thinking about how I got it.
"What the hell?" they all said simultaneously.
"I can't turn. I've had a vaccine." I hated having to tell them this, but I didn't want to get shot if I didn't need to be.
"That's impossible. There isn't a vaccine. We went to the CDC, he said it was hopeless." Rick seemed to be half talking to himself. I rolled my eyes.
"That idiot wasn't in the right department. Of course he didn't know anything. He might as well have been the janitor." I chuckle to myself, thinking about the doctor. He was on the lowest level, his wife on the highest. She was the one who gave me the vaccine to try.
"His wife gave one to me. She's the one who created them." I pulled my shirt back on, a look of disappointment crossed Daryl's face and I forced myself to not blush in front of him.
"You said 'them'. Does that mean you have more?" Rick pointed with his hand.
"No. I don't. She didn't know if it worked at the time. After she got bit, that idiot of a man tried giving her one. But of course it was too late. After she turned I wanted to end it. She was tied to a table like a beast. He disagreed. We argued, I shot her, and he kicked me out of the CDC." I crossed my arms, ignoring the pain from the bite being stretched. 

"He said there was no vaccine." Rick said, running a hand through his hair.

"He probably thought they didn't work. Like I said, they didn't get a chance to test a bite on me." I start to feel nauseous.

"Who was she to you? The doctor who created the vaccine." Maggie asks. I smile and lean against the truck. 

"My aunt. After the world went to shit, I took Eve and drove to the CDC. I knew she'd be there. She loved her work."  I start to climb back in the truck, my head getting dizzier at the passing of every moment. I fall out as I try to climb in and I close my eyes to try and make the world stop spinning. Hands touch my shoulders and I freeze. A tingle shoots through my body, the warm touch providing weird sensations I've not felt before.
"I'm driving. You get in the other side." I turn to see Daryl's blue eyes starring back at me. His face was so close I could feel his warm breath. I didn't have it in me to argue, so I ducked under his arm and walked to the other side of the truck. I manage to climb in without falling over. The tingling still raced around my body, and I hated not being able to control it. Daryl climbed in next to me. Rick, Maggie, and Glenn climbed in the back. I couldn't stop myself from starring at Daryl, who refused, for the first time, to look back.
As the drive started, I soon fell into a dream filled sleep.
〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰
A hand is placed on my shoulder and I shoot awake, reaching for my knife in my boot. I pull it out as quick as I can and place it against the neck of whoever touched me. I look up into those blue eyes and pull the knife back.
"Sorry." I apologize, leaning back in my seat and resting my hand on my forehead, my eyes closed.
"Bad dreams?" Daryl asked.
"You could say that." I chuckle and put my knife back in my boot, opening the door. I practically fall out and stumble to the ground. My legs are wobbly and my head throbs. Daryl comes around to my side and tosses my arm around his neck, placing his arm around my waist to help me walk. I can't force myself to not blush this time, and I bet I look like a tomato. I can hear him chuckle under his breath, which makes me want to hit him. Frankly I don't have the strength in me.
"Was it like this last time?" he asked as we walk up the slight hill to the gate.
"Yeah. I was bed ridden for a day I think. Hopefully it's better this time, have to keep my eye on your group." I grunt as my legs push up the hill, making Daryl lift me up a little more.
"We can take care of ourselves."
"Yeah right. That why Glenn got left behind?" I ask as we reach the gate. Daryl stays silent as he pushes it open and helps me through. He shuts it behind us and heads for the next one to enter the building. Once were inside the compound, Daryl heads for the stairs that leads to the upper row of cells.
Eve comes running when she sees me and wants to cling to my leg.
"Hold on kid, let me put her down first." Daryl warns her. We enter my cell and he drops me on my bed. The springs jump a little. I watch Daryl as he stands straight again. His muscles in his arms relax and I can't help but marvel at them. Eve jumps on my bad and lays her head on my stomach. Daryl and I stare at each other for a while, slight butterflies fly around in my stomach, a spark catches between us. It's so quiet I can hear his breathing, and his blue eyes seem to be looking for something in my green blue ones. When I smiled slightly, he turns and leaves.
This life just got a little more complicated.