Chapter 9

I paced back and forth outside, keeping my eyes and ears open to any threats. Other than the occasional moan from outside the wall, there wasn't anything to worry about.

Why am I here? I suddenly ask myself. Why am I even helping these people? Why do I feel like I need to protect them? I would probably be better off on my own. No one to worry about and no one to keep safe. It seemed so much easier. But what would Daryl do? He would never leave his people for me, no matter what he feels. With my luck I'll get these people killed. They brought my baby sister back to me, my dear Eve, and now she's gone. She would have been fine if I hadn't showed up. I ruin everything. If I stay with this group, with Daryl, I'll get them all killed.

I close my eyes and suck in a sharp, cold breath. That pit in my stomach that planted itself since Eve's murder, grows a little in frustration and worry. An overwhelming need to scream and kick something comes at me like a wave. My breathing becomes more quick and shallow in an effort to control it.
"Vi? You a'ight?" Daryl's southern drawl comes from behind me.
"Just leave me alone." I say, not wanting to end up hitting him.
"Why?" He asks, the thick pang of worry evident in his voice.
"I don't want to hurt you." I warn matter-of-fact-ly. My fists clench and unclench again and again. My nails dig into my palms for some sort of relief. Daryl walks in front of me and grips my wrists, keeping them firmly down. His touch sends chilling waves up and down my arm and instantly soothes me.
"Vienna, talk." My full name rolls off his tongue like a beautiful symphony and I have to bite my lip to keep the heat 'down under', from rising. I pause for a second to think if I should tell him. Why should I?

You know why.

A voice inside my head tells me. I mentally shake it away before I make my decision.
"I'm afraid I'm going to get you all killed." I bite my lip harder to keep the tears away. I'm not crying in front of him. After a moment of silence I find the strength to look up into his eyes. A mix of pain, worry, confusion, and sympathy can be found in those blue gems.
"What makes you say that?" He says a few moments later. My lips become sore.
"I got my friends killed from before. You brought Eve back to me, now she's gone. My parents...fuck everyone's gone! Even my fucking dogs." I spread a sad smile on my lips before I bite them again.
Daryl stares into my eyes, even though I'm looking away. I can't bring myself to even glance. By the time I muster the courage to look his way, his lips are already crashed onto mine. I threw my arms around his neck, digging my fingers into his hair. Which earned a small moan from him. He in return, rubs circles on my lower back, making me shudder slightly.
His hands slide down painfully slow. Before anything gets too heated he pulls away, heavy breaths escaping his mouth. He takes a moment to catch his breath before speaking.
"You ain't killin' anyone. And I ain't goin' no where." He says before kissing me again, making my heart just shatter from both his words and the passion absolutely oozing from his mouth.
〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰
Tyreese and his sister lead us down the middle of the town to where they're holding the people that stayed. We walked on in silence. Daryl kept glancing my way when he thought I wasn't looking.

Don't worry Daryl, I wanted more too.

I thought to myself, making a soft blush heat up my face. I was thankful then for the dark.
Tyreese told us there were 24 people, including 6 kids. The thought of kids reminded me of Eve and my gut clenched. When we actually walked into the place, I felt like I was going to hurl. Daryl rubbed my back soothingly before gently pushing me off to go grab the left over supplies while they explained everything to the slightly frightened group before them.
"What's wrong with her?" I heard Tasha ask. I wanted to roll my eyes but but my lip instead.
"She just lost her sister; young. She just got out of her depression." I hear Rick respond before he goes quiet to figure out what he's going to say to these people.

As I went through the supplies I found baby formula, strange enough. It confused me since I didn't see any babies or pregnant women.
"Why do you have baby formula?" I asked the group with a confidence I hadn't had in a while; the old me returning to the surface.
They shifted uncomfortably before a middle aged woman spoke.
"There was a pregnant girl here. She had the baby, but it died after birth. The mother shot herself shortly after." Tears brimmed her eyes and I felt sorry for asking.
"Bring it with." Rick says, starring straight into my eyes.
"I'm not stupid Rick." I roll me eyes and head back into the supply room. Honestly, did he think I forgot about Lori?

Men.

I smirk at myself before shoving more food and water into bags.
〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰
Carl really didn't take to the new people well. To him, it was just more mouths to feed. Which he does have a point, but it's also more protection. We'll need to go out on more runs, and now we have more people to take with so our leaders won't have to go.
"Carl!" Lori yelled after her retreating son. Carl continued his walk and Rick looked to me and Daryl before pulling us to the side.
"We'll have to clear out another cell block. C won't hold all these people. Plus I'm not sure how comfortable I am with sharing just one with new faces." Rick explains. I really wasn't expecting anything less. I don't want anyone I don't know sleeping a couple doors down either. Especially with Lori about to pop soon. Daryl nods before speaking.
"We'll clear B tomorrow. No point going in now; we'll just trip over ourselves in exhaustion. They'll have to sleep outside our cells. We'll pull some cots." Rick nods, so Daryl and I set off to do exactly that.
"You alright?" Daryl asks quietly.
"Have to be." I shrug him off and turn down another hallway. He didn't like to ask about feelings, and I didn't like to answer. I'd rather just ball it up inside and leave it there. No point in crying, it's not going to change anything. Crying won't stop the walkers, crying won't save my friends, crying won't bring back my dogs. And crying won't give Eve back to me. I just don't see the point.
〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰
Once Daryl and I dragged the cots into our makeshift dining hall, I went straight to my cell. Although I wanted Daryl to hold me and kiss me, I knew that I had to be a big girl and deal with everything on my own. I'm not the kind of person to depend on someone.
"Vi." Daryl almost whispers from the door to me cell. I refrain from rolling my eyes and instead prop myself up on my bed.
"What?" I say with more venom than I intended. A slight show of pain crossed his face that only I would notice. I'm the only one that would look that deep into him.
"You know what." He shoots back. I sigh and lay back down on my bed. My knee shakes back and forth slowly.
"I'm fine Daryl. I already told you."
"No, you said you have to be." He argues and enters my cell. I scoff and face him again.
"Same thing." I swing my legs over the side of the bed and glare at him with my elbows on my knees. He stares straight into my eyes, and I fight to not squirm under his gaze.
"Oh please Daryl the whole 'staring into your lovers eyes' thing is a bit mundane, don't you think?" I joke and ruffle my hair to the side. The movement gives me a soothing effect.
He grunts before coming to sit next to me on the bed. I become annoyingly nervous at how close he is, but I know I shouldn't be. This is Daryl, he'd never hurt me. Not like him.
Daryl takes my hand in his and studies it. His touch sends tingles down my spine and I fight my body for control once again. He massages my wrist where a knot in my muscle has formed. Once again, I'm losing control of my body.
"If you don't stop I'm going to throw you down and have my way with you." I say deeply and truthfully. He looks up at me but doesn't stop. The look in his eyes causes the heat down under to rise in me again.
"Daryl..." I whisper; more huskily than I wanted it to. We had new people downstairs trying to sleep.
"Afraid I'll make you scream?" He asks, his voice making the heat rise even more. I manage a short laugh and and lean on Daryl's shoulder.
"I'd blast your eardrums." I joke.

Mwuhahahahaha!!! Cliff hanger!

Song: Fake it by Seether

I thought the song was appropriate cause she's trying to fake how she feels and just ignore her pain. The picture is there cause it looks like she's slowly getting better. And she is :)

Next update will have the 'scene'. If there is one...MWUHAHAHAHA.

Vote, comment!

-B