Chapter 5

I touched my lips as I laid there with Eve. She was determined to sleep with me tonight, even though I wanted to stay awake all night outside with the cold air. Hopefully with Daryl, I thought. I closed my eyes and pictured him in front of me, holding my head up like before. I never thought I could feel this way with the guy I shot, and shot me in retaliation. I thought of his lips crashing onto mine, the way his whole body just relaxed and his facial expression completely changed. He always had this angry twist on his face, but when he kissed me, it was completely changed. Full of hope and desire, something I never thought I'd be able to see again. I couldn't help but smile as I drifted off to sleep, his blue eyes glued to the back of my eyelids.
〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰
I woke up and noticed Eve was gone. I hope she just went to find someone to play with. I sighed as I locked my fingers underneath my head, starring at the bottom of the bunk above me. I shouldn't let this happen between me and Daryl. I can't go through the pain of losing someone again. After seeing Glenn and Maggie...I just can't. I can't get attached to anyone, except Eve. Yes, I would love for someone to hold me. To tell me that everything was going to be okay, even if it wasn't. But I can't have that, I can't let someone into my life again. No matter how much that kiss made me feel, I had to pretend it was nothing.
"How ye feelin?" Daryl peeks around the corner, leaning against the wall. Of course he'd come right when my mind and heart are fighting over him.
"I'm fine." I sit up, my body aching to just lay in bed all day.
"Ye don't sound fine. What's wrong?" he enters the cell and sits next to me, making my hair stand up. I lean my head on his shoulder, smelling his sweat and grime that somehow was appealing to me.
"It's not you. I just can't get close to anyone. I can't lose anyone I lo-care about. I can't go through it again." He seemed to look at me from the corner of his eye when I almost said love, but it could have been nothing. His hand closed around mine in such a swift movement I didn't see it coming. The electricity surged through my body, almost making me shiver. I looked up into his eyes, which sparked with blue electricity.
"If there's one thing I'm good at. It's stayin' alive." He reached his hand up to my jaw and rubbed my cheek with his thumb. I smiled at him, as he gave me a thoughtful straight face. His eyes seem to look for something in me, although I'm not sure what. I wanted him to lean in and kiss me, to fill me with that same warmth like before.
A scream suddenly erupted outside and I was on my feet immediately, leaving Daryl trailing after me. More and more screams erupt, making me force my legs to run faster. I shove the door open with my arm; that's going to bruise. Gunfire I didn't hear before reaches my ears and I drop to the ground, turning my head to see if Daryl does the same. He crawls next to me.
"Do you know where Eve is?!" I ask.
"I haven't seen her."
"Shit!" I stretch into a crouch and walk/run to the gate that looks out into the field. Big trucks and a few cars line the outside of the fence, people with guns standing beside them. A few fire here and there, but it seems more of a warning than an actual kill shot. I'm not that considerate on the other hand. I run to one of the near by watch towers and open the door, grabbing a rifle I tucked in there earlier just in case. I checked if it was loaded and smiled when I saw it was. I ran back to the fence and fitted the gun into it, resting it in one of the holes.
"Wait." Rick came up behind me and put his hand on my gun.
"Are you kidding me!?"
"They haven't actually tried killing anyone. Let's see what they want." he tried to reason.
"Oh please, like we don't know exactly what they want. A well secured prison, that just so happens to be occupied, is what they want." I shove his hand off my gun and aim again. They didn't see me yet luckily, so I had the advantage. I could probably get 3 to 4 kills in before they shot back.
"You'll just make matters worse." Rick yanked my gun from the fence and my hands. I was about ready to punch him when Daryl came up behind me.
"Ricks right, let's see what they want." He places his hand on my shoulder. I angrily shake it off and step away from the both of them.
"Why don't you paint their nails and braid their hair while you're at it!" I yell at them, angry that they don't see the threat in them. I storm back to the prison, hoping to find Eve with Carol or Beth. Maybe even Hershel. I yank the door open with more force than I intended, my muscles screaming at me in response. The door slams shut behind me and my eyes are forced to focus in the darker corridor.
"Eve!" I shouted no where in particular. I heard voices quiet and my heart skipped a beat, hoping she was okay. When she didn't come running up to me like she usually did when she was scared, I panicked. I picked up my pace and walked/ran into the main room. Hershel, Beth, Carl, Carol, and Lori all stood around someone laying on a table. I wanted to puke I felt so sick. As I tempted to keep my hands from shaking, I walked forward to the table. Their faces were looking at me in sympathy and a unique sadness played on their faces. Eve lay on the table, blood soaking the top of her shirt. Her eyes were closed, her arms limp at her sides and her legs lay flat. Her skin was losing its color. With my quickly blurring vision, I see a hole in the back of her head. That's where she had bled from. My heart beat faster than I thought was humanly possible. My legs felt numb, my mind went blank. The only love I had left in the world, was paling and lifeless on a metal table in a prison. Shot by the bastards who undoubtedly wanted to take her home from her.
Something snapped in me then. A pure, red hot fury shot through my nerves and blood. My eyes instantly cleared of tears and my skin prickled. Rage filled every thought in my mind, even the utter despair I felt in the corners of my mind. My fists closed so tight they turned white. Before they could stop me, since they witnessed the break in me and probably could guess what I was going to do next, I bolted out the door and into the corridor. My whole body ran into the door, swinging it open so fast I almost fell. I saw 4 figures along the fence in the field across from the cars and intruders. My blood boiled within my skin, and I ran for the gun I left leaning against the fence. I picked it up and ran out into the field, leaving the fence that closed it off from the prison open behind me. My legs carried me faster than ever before, towards the small crowd gathered on either side of the fence. The new comers saw me, but the others didn't. When I was close, I raised my gun and tried to aim, but my movement made it difficult. Before I could fire, Daryl whipped around and grabbed me by the waist, throwing the gun from my hands and a few feet away.
"Let go of me!" I screamed and kicked, Rick looked at me with pure shock. Daryl struggled to keep his hold, but he managed. The group on the other side looked amused more than anything. It made me want to massacre them all even more. I tried fighting Daryl off with every ounce of my strength, clearly making Daryl struggle even more. As I flailed there, the rage started to subside. I was scared of what I was going to do when it was gone, so I tried getting it back. No matter how I thought of killing them, shooting their brains out, shoving my knife in their heart, I couldn't get it to come back. It soon was in the back of my mind, giving my despair a chance to grow. And grow it did. My eyes stung with the fresh tears forming. I stopped struggling against Daryl and buried my head in his chest, trying desperately to keep my sobs quiet. Daryl's grip loosened and became more comforting than controlling.
"What happened?" He asked so quietly only I could possibly hear.
"They...killed Eve. She... got shot in the...fire." I managed to say in-between sobs. His hand grasped my head lightly and he held me.
"I'll say this again. We want the prison." A loud southern voice called. I didn't know it, so I knew it was from them.
"Look, I'm sorry. But this is our home now. We can't just leave, we can't just give it up." Rick argued. That burning feeling rose again, but not as much as before. I no longer felt like putting my knife in every one of their heads. I just wanted to curl into a corner and stay there for eternity. I pulled away from Daryl, who surprisingly let go. I picked up my gun and aimed it back at the group.
"This is my home. I cleared it out, I kept it safe. This was my sisters home until you bastards murdered her." Rick looked shocked but didn't say a word. Tears still streamed down my face, but my voice did not shake, and my arms did not falter. They all just stared at me, probably wondering if I was going to shoot or not.
"But we don't kill the living. So get the hell off my property!" I yelled as loud as I could without making my voice crack. I know I sounded confident, pissed, and stubborn. I knew this subject wouldn't end. But right now I didn't want to do something stupid for the revenge of my sister. I needed time to grieve. Which means I needed these assholes out of my sight.