Chapter 16

27 walkers later -but who's counting- I'm walking down the road, toward the gas station I was to meet Daryl at.
I hoped to anything and everything that they were ok.

My sword dripped walker blood along the street as I held it out along my side. The crunch of my shoes hitting the road sounded like a nail gun in my ears. That's how silent it was. Even though my legs were throbbing with pain, I moved a little faster. I didn't realize how long it had been since I sent them away. I saw the big pole for the gas station and sighed with relief. Almost there. As I reached the building, a gunshot rings out.

Even though Daryl carries a gun, he doesn't use it unless he absolutely needs to. His gun or not, either way they're in trouble. I hold out my sword in front of me and creep up to the windows. I see two men standing in front of Daryl, their arms crossed and their faces smug. Sue is hugging onto his leg, sobbing into his pants.
"Give us the girl." One of them say. Daryl says nothing, but stands his ground with his crossbow raised.
"Give us the girl and we'll let you live." They try again. I see a small smirk on Daryl's lips. The two men scoff and look at each other. I don't think they've ever been defied before. But Daryl isn't one to scare from a couple of big men.

The taller of the men is wearing a leather vest, with jeans and a gun holster on his hip. He has tattoos going up and down his arms, and a giant tiger on his chest. How typical. The other man is at least 6 inches shorter, and is actually wearing a shirt. He also has a gun holster and jeans. His tattoos are less visible, but I know they're there. Both have dark hair.

They raise their guns and aim at Daryls head. He doesn't flinch.
"Leave us alone!" Sue yelled, and then hiccuped afterward. The two men laughed. My hair stood up.
"You took my mama!" She spoke again. They only laughed once more.
"That's right girl, I took your bitch mother. I didn't realize she had a kid till I saw the cut on her stomach. My mama had the same."
So these were the men that raped her mother. With that infuriating thought in mind, I bursted into the room and slashed my blade through the shorter mans belly. He choked on his own blood and looked me in the eye, horrified. He landed on the floor with a thunk. Before the other beast could even raise his gun, I thrust my blade into his throat and twisted. A harsh gurgle escaped his mouth before I yanked my blade back and let him flop to the ground. His blood stained my face and clothes. I turned to Daryl and Sue. Sue had a look of disgust and shock written on her face. Daryl had a look between being turned on and admiration. I rolled my eyes at him.
"Sue, I'm sorry you had to see that. But they were bad men." She nodded her head.
"It's ok. My mama used to hurt bad men too." She came over to me and held her arms up. I swiftly picked her up and walked to Daryl. With his arm wrapped around my waist, he crushed his lips to mine. His finger tips brushed my bare skin. My skin prickled again, and then we pulled away. Sue had her hands over her eyes. We chuckled and then headed out.
〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰
*back at the prison*
Maggie said 7 more had been lost. But her father, husband, and my brother were still alive. I was glad for that. Rick and Carol hadn't returned yet, so we waited for them. Hershel said he could use some of the things I brought to lower the fever. Once we had arrived, I instantly put Sue in quarantine, so that she had no chance of catching the virus that was going around the prison. It would have been pointless to save her if she died after I brought her here.

The soft rumble of an engine cuts me off guard. Rick and Carol must be back. Daryl and I run out of the prison to meet them. But I am confused to find only Rick.
"Where's Carol?" Daryl asks. Before he met me, I could tell he was attached to her. I just hoped it wasn't physically.
"She...got left behind." The hesitation in his voice makes me second guess him. The guilty glint in his eye only furthers my thoughts.

Do not go out alone with Rick. You may not come back.

I left that mental note in my head. Sneering at him, I spun around to head back into the prison. The two men trailed behind me.
〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰
Finally those who were still alive were healing. Roughly half of our population was wiped out from whatever sickness this was. I was lucky my brother survived it.
"Vienna!" He had said while hugging me after he was released from quarantine. I gripped so tight on his shirt I was sure it would never flatten out again. Sue came running over to me, holding onto my leg as she looked up at Jess shyly.
"Jess I want you to meet Sue. Sue, this is Jess. He is my brother." She stuck out her hand without moving from behind me, and Jess softly took it into his own hand and shook it. She looked so fragile and small in that moment. It made me want to protect her more.

Sue ran off to play with the other kids who survived.
"Where'd she come from?" He asked once she was out of earshot.
"I found her when I was out finding medicine with Daryl. Her mom had been taken into the other room and raped. Shot in the head. I assume she heard the whole thing since she was just down the hall, hiding in a closet." He looked down at me, his eyes wide.
"Tough girl."
"Yes. Yes she is. And she'll only get tougher. I'll make sure of that."
〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰
I know this is a short chapter but I wanted to get one up as soon as possible. Happy new year everyone!

We're so close to a thousand reads! *screams internally*
I'm regaining hope that this may be a well read fanfiction!
Anyway, comment (I want to hear from you guys), vote. Pretty please!
                                          -Bethany