Chapter 1

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

His name is Ken Suson, a member of the (Philippine) PPop group SB19. The group came to perform in their very own concert in New York City, Los Angeles and San Francisco, USA in November 2022.

Third Person POV

"His name is Ken. He's here on scholarship at the Music Department of the Royal University," Barcode's mom explained to him. "I have accepted the university administrator's request to provide housing for him while he is here on scholarship." (A/N: Fictitious name of a university. Author doesn't know if such a name exists. If it does, it's purely coincidental.)

Barcode extended his hand to Ken.

"I'm Barcode," he said to Ken.

Ken quickly accepted it with a big smile.

"Thank you for having me," Ken said in a grateful tone.

"It's actually mom whom you should be thanking," said Barcode.

"He has thanked me already," Barcode's mom said.

"Come let me show you to your room," said Barcode's mom.

Barcode took Ken's suitcase and followed him and his mom while lugging the suitcase across the living room and into the hallway that led to the room designated for Ken.

"I hope that you will feel comfortable in it," said Barcode's mom.

"Oh, I'm sure I will," Ken replied.

"Thank you, Barcode," Ken said as he accepted the suitcase from him and placed it on top of his bed and started to unzip it.

Barcode walked over to one side of the room and slid open the full length mirror that served as the door to a closet.

"There are hangers here for your use," said Barcode. "And there is a shelf up there where you can store your suitcase after you have emptied it."

"Thank you so much," Ken said to Barcode and Barcode's mom.

"I hope that you will enjoy your stay here in Thailand," said Barcode's mom.

"Yeah," Barcode echoed. "I hope you will enjoy it here. When both our free times are in sync, I will show you around Bangkok."

"That sounds great to me!" Ken said.

"We will leave you now to settle in your room," Barcode's mom said to Ken while motioning to Barcode to leave the room with her.

Ken bowed gratefully to Barcode's mom and to Barcode and watched as they left the room and closed the door behind them.

As soon as Ken was alone, he dug his phone out of his pocket and went to Messenger and tapped on the video icon. He needed to call his best friend Stell to let him know that he had reached Bangkok safely.

"Omg, Ken, kanina pa kita hinihintay na tumawag!" (A/N: This is Tagalog (Philippine language) for Omg I have been waiting for you to call a long time ago)

"Pasensya na, Stell, ngayon lang ako naka settle sa bago kong tirahan," said Ken. (A/N: Tagalog for Forgive me, Stell, it's only now that I have been able to settle in my new home) Big thanks to a friend who refuses to be acknowledged for helping me with translation.

"Are you doing okay?" Stell asked.

"I think so," Ken replied. "I'm of course feeling anxious because it's my first time here in Thailand and I know very little about the culture."

"You will do just fine," Stell assured Ken. "Call me whenever you need anything."

"I miss you already," Ken said a bit tearfully.

"Same here," said Stell. "Be sure to keep in touch."

"Of course I will," Ken replied.

"Good luck, bro," said Stell. "Talk to you again soon."

"Okay, bye," Ken said before tapping on the screen to end the call.

Ken was busy hanging his clothes inside the closet when he heard a knock on the door.

"Come in!" Ken called out, sliding the mirror door of the closet shut.

"Mom wants me to call you to come to the dining room," Barcode announced from the doorway. "She has prepared a special lunch for you."

"Thank you so much," Ken said, quickly following Barcode to the dining room.

"Why are you leaving?" Ken asked Barcode. "Are you not going to join us for lunch?"

"He has a lunch date with his boyfriend," Barcode's mom replied, winking at her son as Barcode started making his way to the living room and out the front door.

"Mom!" Barcode protested. "You don't have to announce it to everyone!"

"I didn't hear anything," Ken assured Barcode with a smile.

As soon as Barcode stepped out of the front door, Barcode's mom leaned over to Ken.

"Don't tell him this, but I'm actually not a big fan of his boyfriend," she said. "I believe he's too old for Barcode."

Ken did not know what to say to that. Instead he picked up the tall glass of cold mango juice that was set beside his plate.