8

Shamsuddin heard about the attack on Arsalan and his tribe. He rushed to his father.

" Baba, should we send forces to help them?"

"No, Shams, we cannot interfere till Asalan or Ayath ask us."

"I do not understand you a bit. First of all, you married your beloved daughter to that boy without any status. Secondly.."

"Stop there, Shams. Your father was no king when he married your mother. It was God's grace that he bestowed me with wealth and respect. Your mother never undermined me. Status is given by God"

"Baba, I have your upbringing. I never look down on people because of their status. I am just concerned about my sister "

"I know your concerns regarding your sisters. A wild plant does not need nurturing. It withstands different climates and conditions to become a tree. Arsalan is not a houseplant, it is a wild tree. Let him grow on his own.

You know, I traveled a lot learning different war techniques and observing different tribal heads, and their way of governing. It took me years to compose myself. Your mother has gone through her fair share of troubles. Arsalan is quite young, ambitious, and impulsive. With these kinds of attacks, he will know that his opponents are also prepared."

"I think Baba is right, Shams." It was Salahuddin.

Salahuddin and Shams were different personalities. Fakhruddin looked at his sons with pride. Shams never understood his brother and father. He always wondered how they could be so calm.

"Shams, Arsalaan has a lot to learn. He needs to take a step back and develop his skills and we should not interfere."

"What if something happens to Ayath?"

"I have my men around her without her knowledge. You just relax and be with your family."

Salahuddin started discussing political stuff.

"Brother, why are you interested in Chinese soil?"

"Many people around that border are being oppressed by the current emperor. I am not interested in their land. I will hand over power to the rightful person."

Salahuddin wanted to discuss something personal with his father. Shams saw the hesitation in his brother's tone and offered to leave if he needed privacy.

"I know you want to ask something. I will leave if you need privacy."

"Shams, there has been no secret between us. It's just I do not know how to ask Baba. You please stay"

"Father, I want to ask why you did not get married again even when our mother agreed."

"Salah, I know what you want to ask. I love your mother and I am sure that I cannot love any other woman. Marrying again is easy, but doing justice and being fair is difficult. At that time, your mother was childless and if I had a family with someone else, then she would have suffered."

Salahuddin was in deep thought.

"Polygamy is allowed and if a man knows that he can be fair and equal, then there is no harm. I am not that great a character. I know that I cannot do justice. I am happy with my only one," Fakhr replied calmly.

"Does that mean you wouldn't object if any one of us had more than one wife?"

"I have no right to object, let it be my son or son-in-law. There is one more thing. If you marry again, then your first wife feels that she can not respect you and love you as before, then she has the right to ask for a divorce.