15

Iman saw her parents and brother lying on the ground lifeless. Iman screamed and woke up. Arsalan and Ayath were sitting next to her. She suddenly kissed Arsalan on his forehead and hugged him and cried.

"Mother, what happened? are you alright?" He asked, worried.

" I relived my worst nightmare in my dream", she replied.

While she was hugging Arsalan, she held Ayath's hand. She was hysterical for a moment. It took a while for her to calm down.

"We are there for you always, mother," Ayath replied, wiping her tears. This was not new for Arsalan over the years. He had seen his mother having breakdowns but she immediately would wipe her tears and try to act normal. She never gave him any explanation. She just once mentioned that she witnessed her family being killed by bandits and she still sees that in her dreams. She would always cleverly divert the conversation. Arsalan was not a child anymore. He knew there was something that troubled his mother.

"I am sorry I spoiled the celebration for everyone" Iman replied with guilt and wiped her tears.

"Mother, Seher, and Shahzain wanted to postpone the event tonight but Arsalan convinced them not to" Ayath replied.

"Why are you both still here? I am fine. You go and join the celebration." She stood up. "Come Ayath, let me help you with the dress."

"I am happy to be here and I do not like crowds. Ladies backbiting and gossiping nonsense. I think Arsalan should join the celebration". Ayath looked at Arsalan.

" I am also not interested". He looked at Ayath annoyed.

"I need to be alone now. Why don't you and Ayath go and rest?" Iman replied, looking at them.

"I will be sleeping with mother" Ayath replied. Finally, she got a chance to be away from Arsalan. As soon as she said that, Arsalan said "No, you are not going anywhere again."

Ayath looked at him fiercely."Everyone is busy and you want me to leave Mother alone. I do not trust servants."

Arsalan saw his mother's smile and then realized what he had said in haste. He didn't want Ayath to go away from him anymore. They were interrupted by Nur Jahan's and Seema's arrival.

"Is the party finished?" Ayath asked her mother.

Not yet, but soon. I retired because I was tired and Seema also joined me to check on sister Iman."

"Now you both go and have dinner, let us young ladies talk" Seema replied, laughing.

Ayath wanted to eat in the dining hall but Arsalan stopped her. "My head is hurting, can you tell them to send a meal to our room?"

"You were fine just now. How come you are sick?"

"You really are heartless and do not care about your husband. I have not slept properly for days."

"Should stop dreaming about your dream girl" Ayath mumbled.

"Learn from your mother, how much she cares about her husband and you always argue." his head was genuinely hurting, so he walked into the room and lay quietly on the bed. He was disappointed that Ayath did not follow him. How nice it would be if she cared about him. It was all his foolishness that led to this stage today. It was a while and there was no sound of Ayath. He felt sad and closed his eyes.

"Have you slept?" Ayath's familiar scent hit his nose.

"hmm," he replied.

"Wake up and eat your food". Ayath saw his red eyes open. Poor Arsalan was really exhausted.