Chapter Three: Of Abominations and Witches

Another day, another opportunity to explore the Boiling Isle. The sun shined brightly over the horizon as Eda had Luz and Booker walking with her down the beach. The two apprentices were excited, believing that they were going to be learning some magic. Especially when Eda said that they were going to find something special. It's been about a week since the incident with Adegast, and the two friends were eager to learn real magic.

But 10 minutes into their adventure and their excitement were replaced with mixed expressions. Mostly disgust. "Eda, when you told us that you were going to take us somewhere special...this isn't what I was expecting," Booker said, pointing at what they came for.

Lying on the beach in front of them was the carcass of a dead giant worm with the characteristics of a leech. Its body was cylindrical and tapered towards the tail. Its mouth was a jawless orifice lined with large, pointed teeth and ringed by five stubby feeding tentacles that were used to grasp food and protect the mouth when not feeding. Large eyes were spread across its back and head, and large black spines ran along the back between the eyes located on the head and those on the back. Coloration was dark green across the dorsal surface and light green on its ventral side, divided into segments like annelid worms.

"What? What are you talking about?" Eda looked at him like he was crazy before turning back to the creature. "When have you ever seen something as breathtaking as this?"

"Literally anytime when I'm not looking at a dead rotting body," Booker said, pinching his nose.

"I don't like this," Luz commented. Creeped out and a bit disgusted.

"Yes, it doesn't get much more inspiring than the trash slug," Eda said as she walked over to the large slug, kneeling down and placing a hand on it. "It makes a home, a life from what others have thrown by the wayside." She gave the beast a pat before reaching into its mouth and pulling out a rubber chicken. Tossing it aside before turning back to her apprentices.

"Until BLAM!" Eda hits her fist into her palm. "It gets blasted by a wave one day and croaks from all the salt. And then we get to sell the stuff it ate."

She then pulled out a pickaxe and held it out to Luz. "Please don't make me," Luz begged with a croaky voice, terrified of the job.

Eda shrugged her shoulders and turned to Booker. "Not happening," he said, pushing the pickaxe away. "As much as I would love to look for treasure, I'm not going to dig through the remains of a slug if I can avoid it."

"Aw, come on, guys," King said, walking to the side and throwing down a towel with a duck on it. "It's not every day you get to go to the dump and pick apart a garbage carcass."

"What the actual fuck? No one looks forward to that!" Booker exclaimed.

"Ah, nuts to you both," said Eda before she began doing the dirty work. Swinging her pickaxe into the flesh of the monster.

Booker looked at Luz, and she nodded her head to him. It was time to talk with Eda about her teaching method and how she was teaching the two. Which was not teaching them anything at all. "So, Eda. Luz and I were talking, and we were wondering when you were going to, you know, start our training," he said to the witch.

"What are you talking about? We've already begun your training," Eda stated, swinging the pickaxe into the trash slug again. The crashing sound it made had Luz cringing.

"Yeah, but if we tried some new lessons for our apprenticeship?" She suggested while her teacher managed to cut out some of the stuff inside the slug and started digging through it. "Like...read ancient scrolls or mix together potions, or‐"

"Ugh. That sounds like a bunch of magic school stuff," Eda commented, throwing a phone she pulled out onto a pill of other things.

Booker's eyes widened just as much as Luz's when they both caught onto those keywords at the end of Eda's sentence. "Wait; what?" He asked bewildered. "There are magic schools here?"