Chapter Eighteen: Separate Tides

I'm cowboyalchemist on Discord. Due to a new policy on the server, I had to change my username. Come on over if you want to chat and talk about ideas. If you want an invite to join my Discord server, you only have to ask me.

I HAVE RETURNED! And I'm here to continue this story!

There is a dimension beyond that which is known to mankind. It is a dimension filled with magic and terrors beyond which we can see and experience. Where what we humans call witchcraft is not only a practice but a way of life, practiced by the horrifying in appearance, but gentle in soul inhabitants. This is the world known as the Demon Realm, and as the sun rose on another sunny day in the Boiling Isles, it marked a new day for the Seventh Son of the Seventh Son, Booker Bridges.

Dressed in his winter clothes, Booker sat alone on a snow-covered rock. His legs crossed with his hands pressed together, meditating as he focused on controlling his breathing. His efforts to calm his mind were in progress, though not without a lot of effort on his part to keep it clear. His thoughts were a whirlwind and anchored down by the events that had taken place in his life.

And then, it happened! From out of nowhere, a blast of fire was sent his way.

Booker's eyes widened as he quickly sensed the magic attack coming his way. Biting back the fear, the Seventh Son held out his hand and caught the fireball. Using what he's learned, Booker absorbed the magic into his body.

Then, another attack was sent his way. This time, an Oracle Spirit flew at him and lashed out with its claws, forcing Booker to jump away with a backflip.

He landed in the snow with a skid, before quickly moving out of the way of three fireballs being thrown at him. Clapping his hands and digging them into the snow, Booker converted the magic he absorbed into magical energy and formed a shield of ice from the ground that blocked another barrage.

Booker was about to go on the attack himself when he caught a glimpse of something behind him.

Then, at the very last second, he jumped out of the way of a bolt of lightning that smashed into the ice barrier and shattered it into pieces. "Whoa! Whoa! Time out," Booker yelled at the attacker, who almost zapped him into a burnt carcass.

Descending from the sky on her pony Palisman, Claus asked, "What? Too much?"

"Yeah! What the hell?!" Booker yelled, shocked and incensed. Behind him, Roswell floated down from the sky on his bear Palisman.

"Wait, was that a rule," he asked with his arms crossed. "Because I remember telling you we'd randomly attack you and see how well you could react."

"And you have some mad reaction time, cuz!" Claus said cheerfully.

"I wouldn't really say that," Roswell said, however, drawing the annoyance of Booker to him. "Your reaction time was good, but you spent too much time absorbing one magic attack, leaving you open to more attacks." As he continued critiquing Booker's performance, Roswell failed to notice an Oracle Spirit appearing behind him.

"Boo!"

"AAAH!" Roswell screamed like a girl as he fell off his staff, landing in the snow face first with his butt in the air.

"Ha!" Laughed Felix as he and Jason walked up the snowy mountain. "That's what I call knocking you off your high horse–er, bear. Your high bear!" The cousins laughed with each other as Roswell pulled himself out of the snow, looking none too happy.

Booker watched them as a smile appeared on his face, happy to have a family as great as his still. One and a half weeks have passed since the petrification ceremony, resulting in the destruction of the portal back to the Earth. It was a hard decision to make, but between having the portal and having his new mom, he'd pick Eda every time.