Chapter Nine: The Crow Wizard

A few days had passed sinced Booker and Luz went to Hexside, unknowingly being a part of Gus' scheme to secure his position as president of the H.A.S.. It ended in disaster, but wasn't all that bad. Now the two best friends were being enrolled at the witchcraft school. Of course, Booker and Luz were excited to be able to go and learn magic. However, for the Seventh Son, there was something else going on for him.

As he stared down at the photo of his father and uncles, Booker focused on one of them. The fourth oldest uncle and his crow Palisman staff. He was more than sure of it. It was the same staff used by the wizard that saved him, Luz, Gus, and Willow from the Demon Hunters.

It all led Booker to ask one question. Is the wizard with the crow mask his uncle?

"Booker, you agree with me, right?"

"Huh?" Booker looked up at Luz. Quickly, he stuffed the photo back into his sweater. "I'm sorry, what were you saying?"

The two kids and Eda were sitting on a bench at a playground in the middle of Bonesborough. Or, as it was called in the Boiling Isles, the Slayground. And just like everything else in the Demon Realm, everything was alive in some way. There was a slide adjacent to a strange monster-like building with its mouth open, a sand pit with tentacles coming out of it, and a set of swings made from bones.

There were several baby-track Hexside students there, playing around and having fun. It reminded Booker of when he was forced to watch over some of the younger kids from the orphanage.

"I'm talking about King!" Luz exclaimed frantically, pointing at King, who was trying to climb up the slide. "What if he gets hurt? What if the kids are mean to him?" She gasped. "My parental instincts are freaking out, man."

"Luz, you're too young to have parental instincts," Booker said.

"Said you, Mister 'I-can't-play-because-I-have-to-babysit," Luz exclaimed, pointing a finger at him. Remembering days when he had to babysit some of the orphans. But on those days, she'd help him.

"Will you relax, kid," Eda said. "He's fine. Look at him."

Booker and Luz watched as King continued making his way up. "It does look like he's having fun," the Dominican-American girl said.

"He's growing up fast, Luz," Booker said, smiling as he wrapped his arm around Luz's neck. Luz smiled as she leaned into him and the two watched King. "Our little demon bastard is becoming a fully grown demon bastard."

"Aw. I wonder what cute little game he's playing," Luz said, secretly enjoying being against Booker's body.

"Stand back, cretins," cried King, grunting as he continued climbing up to the tip of the slide as a few kids watched him. When he reached the top, he turned towards the kids in a victory pose. "Yes! Yes! This is a throne worthy of a tyrant. Bow to me you snotty underlings. Bow!"

The kids at the bottom of the slide just shared a look with one another. "Okay!" And then they did the exact opposite. One did a handstand while the other did a backbend.

"Yes, appease your master!" King yelled, not noticing a kid with dark skin and red hair behind him.

"This isn't for standing, it's for sliding," the boy said, with a green booger running down his left nostril. "You try."

And with that, the kid shoved King down the slide. The little demon tumbled down before landing on the ground. The kid smiled like it was good fun. But King looked upset and angry. Hopping to his feet, he screamed and ran to Booker, Luz, and Eda.

"Eda!" He wailed and clung to Luz's leg. "That monster took my throne!"

"You mean the baby?" Eda asked with an amused tone.