Chapter Eleven: The Secret Room of Shortcuts

Booker and Luz have done it. They've passed the entrance exam and have officially become students of Hexside. And they did it without destroying the auditorium. Now it was time for them to begin their first day. Taking them to their first day of school was Eda on her staff. Booker sat behind her and Luz behind him. Both kids were wearing a Hexside uniform, though the normal uniform parts are in a lighter gray than most, and their sleeves and leggings are white.

While Booker was excited to start the school year, he looked back to see his crush was acting nervously. "What's wrong with you?" He asked.

"Mmm, we gotta go back. This was a mistake!" Luz exclaimed, "I'm gonna mess things up again, and everyone will see, and—

"Luz, come on. Don't be like that," said Booker with a comforting smile. "Nothing like that is going to happen."

"You say that now, and the next moment, we're causing something to explode. Just like the super confetti science experiment!"

"You. You caused something to explode. I had nothing to do with that." Booker said, turning his head to face forward.

"You were my lab partner!"

"Booker's right, you gotta calm down," said Eda, looking back at the kids. "What are you nervous about? You've been to school before."

"That's why I'm nervous," exclaimed Luz. "At my human school, I didn't make a good first impression. This is a chance to be seen as something other than a screw-up."

"Hey, don't worry about what those dorks think. If you want my advice, walk into class and punch the toughest kid you see. To establish dominance." Eda explained to help calm the young girl.

"Now that I can do," said Booker with a smirk, pumping his fist.

"Aw, we won't be doing that. But thanks," said Luz, placing a hand on Booker's shoulder.

They landed at the front of Hexside, and the two students dismounted the staff and stood on the stone pathway. They took off their backpacks from the back and put them on.

"Last chance to back out, and earn a new Bad Girl Coven patch," said Eda, as she held up a new patch for her made-up Coven. This one was the Quitter Badge. "Quitting: It's like trying, but easier."

"Nah, I'll just earn it when I quit showering like Booker," said Luz, pointing her thumb at Booker. Booker frowned and smelt his armpit before Luz grabbed his hand and started running off. "Bye!"

"Hold up!" Eda called out to the kids. Booker and Luz stopped and looked at her as she smiled at them. "Just try not to be too much of a goody-Luz-shoes, Luz. And Booker, make me proud and cause a bit of chaos. You got this."

"Thanks, Eda. In fact..." Luz reached into her pockets and pulled sock puppets of herself, Booker, and Eda out of her pockets. "I have written a heartfelt sonnet to commemorate this occasion. Here, Booker. You be Eda."

But Eda was already flying off into the sky. "Whoops! A gust of wind just got me. See you after school! Byeeeee!"

Booker and Luz watched her fly away before the boy held up Puppet Eda. "You're gonna do great, kid." He made her say and, then made the puppet kiss her on the cheek.

Luz blushed at that. "Thanks, Puppet Eda."

Together, the two best friends walked toward their new school. As they approached it, they passed under a banner reading "WELCOME TO THE NEW SEMESTER". Lining each side of the path were the banners of the nine covens. All around them, various students are arriving at Hexside with them. Some went inside while others stopped to greet each other. As he walked with Luz, Booker looked around with a smile on his face.