Chapter Ten: At the Knee of Magic

It was a new day for Booker Bridges on the Boiling Isles. Things had finally calmed down after finding his distant relatives. Luckily he's been receiving messages from all of them from creepy human-headed owls.

Why they are a thing will never be known, and Booker didn't want to know.

At the current moment, Booker is facing a new problem. No matter how many books he's looked into, there was still nothing with any knowledge that could grant him and Luz more glyphs. And that's where he was at now, sitting on the couch as he read from a book from the library. His sweater was zipped open as he petted King, who was resting on his lap. Luz was lying on the other side of the couch, reading a pamphlet about Hexside that was labeled "Hexside Facts and Trivia." On the back of it was a picture of Principal Bump on the back along with his quote, "Education is the real magic."

"Booker, listen to this!" Luz said with excitement as she sat up. "They have a running of the bunnies race!"

"Are the bunnies like giants or something," Booker asked, looking up from the book he was reading

"No, but they have unicorn horns," she said, showing her best friend a picture of the rabbit with a unicorn horn on it. "Now that we'll be students at Hexside, we've got to learn all about it! I've got a new crush, and her name is Education!"

"I thought you had a crush on that one cheerleader," Booker said, remembering back to the human realm. The same girl that made Luz realize she was Bisexual.

"Yes, but things are different," she said with an enthusiastic smile.

"Is that because you realized that she's a bitch?" Booker asked with a smirk.

"...Shut up," Luz said with a pout.

All of a sudden, the front door was kicked open. Eda stuck her head through the door frame with a grin. "Hey, freeloaders! Guess what today is?"

"Your anniversary?" Booker asked sarcastically.

"No way, it's her birthday," Luz said.

"Is it my birthday?" King asked as he sat up.

"It's my birthday!" Hooty said with an excited smile.

"No!" Eda said, stepping into the house and closing the front door. "It's human treasure day!" The Owl Lady tossed the Portal Door into the air and watched as it unfolded and opened. Owlbert flew through it from Earth, dragging a giant sack. The sack ripped when he flipped it onto the floor, revealing a pile of human garbage.

The magic doorway closed as Eda hopped onto the pile and hugged it. "Ahh, fresh garbage," she said with a smile.

"Ooo, gimme gimme gimme!" King ran to the pile of garbage and pulled out a teddy bear from inside it. "Yes! Another worthy addition to my army of terror!"

"That's a teddy bear, King," Booker said deadpanning.

King pulled the string, and the bear started talking. "I love cuddles and kisses!"

"Truly horrifying!" Exclaimed the young demon.

Eda turned to Luz, who was still sitting on the couch, reading over the pamphlet. "Yo, kid. Your trash pile's getting cold. While mine's getting hot!" She said, digging into the pile and pulling out a wire clothes hanger "I have never seen such an extravagant earring."

"That's a clothes hanger, Eda. It's for hanging clothes," Booker said with an amused smirk.

Eda glanced between him and the hanger. "You hang clothes from your ears? Humans are weird," she said, trying to fit it on her ear.