Chapter Five: Rebel Without a Coven

Another day on the Boiling Isle means another day for Booker and Luz to work at Eda's stand, trying to sell human junk to the people. It's been a few days since the incident with Eda's curse. Since then, the Owl House was repaired from the damage that the Owl Lady caused, but that was it.

As they waited for potential customers, Eda was dusting off some of the items, while Booker set up more items for sale. On the other hand, Luz was reading to King one of her Azura and the Dark One's books.

"'Emboldened by the dishonor Hecate had shown, Dominic lifted his sword to the cotton-candy skies and shouted, 'I challenge you to a Magic Duel!''" Luz read the page to the little demon.

"Isn't that the page I made that little drawing?" Booker asked.

"Yup!" Luz looked at the bottom right corner of the page. There was Booker's small drawing of Dominic and Hecate. She flipped the corner of the page back and forth, showing Dominic's sword and Hecate's staff hitting one another. "Pew, pew, pew!"

"Show me the picture," King said, wanting to see.

"What?"

"Show me the picture!" Luz turned the book around to show the little demon the page. "Hah! I can draw better than that. You know, they once called me the King of Artists."

"King, are you just making up all these titles because they make you feel more important than you really are," Booker said with a smirk.

"Burn~," Luz said as the two fist-bumped.

"No, I don't!" King shouted, before calming down. "Doesn't matter. What's important is that my followers would leave me offerings in fear of me!"

"Yeah, 'fear of you.'" Booker rolled his eyes.

"Well, I can offer you more of this tantalizing book," Luz offered.

Eda groaned out loud in annoyance. "Ugh! Please stop reading that crap! Its flowery language is an insult to witches and wizards alike. And driving away all of our serious customers!" She complained while lightly swatting the two best friends with the feather duster.

"Um, Aunt Eda? What customers?" Booker asked his aunt, gesturing to the sheet. Show that it was completely empty and devoid of life. No people or even the other stands. "We've been here for hours, and we haven't seen a single person!"

"There aren't even any other stands around. What's going on?" Luz asked the Owl Lady.

"This is a bad omen," Eda said in a serious tone. "There must be something horrible happening today."

"Luz! Booker!" shouted a familiar voice. Booker and Luz turned and were pleasantly surprised to see Willow and Gus, their new friends from Hexside, running over to them.

"Gus, Willow! Hey!" Luz greeted her friends.

"Something amazing is happening today!" Gus said with excitement.

"Really? What's going on?" Booker asked.

"It's the annual covention!" Willow said, holding up a flier to show the friends. "Student witches get to see all the types of covens before they're placed in one. There's even a mystery guest this year!" She pointed to the bottom of the flier, where the two words were brightly shown.

"A job fair for witches! Eda, can we go?" Luz asked her mentor with excitement.

"Absolutely not." Eda quickly shot down. This just caused Luz to groan and slid onto the ground, but was stopped when Booker held her up from under her arms.

"But why not? Sounds like it could be fun," said Booker, struggling to hold up Luz. "Okay, Luz, please get up."

"It is most certainly not. I never joined a coven for a reason. Sure it's like a fun club for witches, but you're also giving up your magical independence to be part of a crooked system," Eda said, slamming her fist on the table.