Chapter 8

~At the Krystal Krab~

SpongeBob POV:
Last night was amazing, but I can't tell anyone because Squidward likes to keep to himself.....I'm not sure if I want a lot of people to know either.

*Enters Squidward*

"Good morning, Squidward!" I exclaim a little too enthusiastically.
"Good morning." He replies back, he looks like he didn't get much sleep after he left my house.
"Are you alright? You look kinda rough."
"I'm fine, I saw an old friend last night. I'll tell you about it later." He says without making eye contact with me.

*Enters Patrick*

"Good morning Krabby crew! Squidward.." Patrick announces loudly while pushing open the doors, almost breaking them.
"Morning Patrick! I feel like it's been a while!" I shout back at him.
"Not long enough." Squidward mumbles to himself. He asks, "What'll be today?"
"Ummmm.......just a krabby patty." He replies, glaring at him.
"One krabby patty coming right up." He sighs.
After cooking up a krabby patty, "Here you go Patrick, I hope you enjoy." I tell him, sweat beading down my face and over my spongey pores from working over a hot stove.
"Thanks SpongeBob, maybe we can do something later? Just the two of us?" Patrick steps forward, trying to keep me from returning to work.
"Ummmmm........" I glances back at Squidward for a second only for Patrick to gently grab my face and pull it closer to his, having it inches from each other.
"There's no need to look at Squidward, he's not invited. It would be just you.......and me." Patrick slowly looks down at SpongeBob's lips and then back at his unbroken gaze with me. "What do you say, SpongeBob?"
"Ummm....," I pause, not knowing what to say without being suspicious of what's going on between me and Squidward, "sure, I'd like to hang out Patrick."
Pat let's go of my face as gently as he grabbed it, and walks of whilst eating his now room temperature krabby patty.

Squidward POV:
"What the hell just happened?" I ask, confused as to why Patrick was so passive aggressive towards me.
"I would tell you, but I'm not sure I even know myself." SpongeBob replies, trying to get out of his trance.
"Why are you two not working? Get back to work!" Mr.Krabs yells at us from his office doorway.
"Sorry, Mr.Krabs." SpongeBob tells hims as he heads back to the kitchen.
"It's fine, but I just want to listen to this new bop I heard on the radio," he says back, "beep boop boop bop, boop boop bop." He heads back into his office.
"I need to find a new job." I mumble to myself, but then quickly reminded of why I still work here, at this hellhole. I turn around to face SpongeBob as he preps his work station for any potential customers. "Hey, SpongeBob, it's almost closing time, you don't need to prep so much."
"I know, I like to be prepared anyway. Besides, whatever I don't use today, I can just use tomorrow." He glances up at me while stores the pickles and onions away. "Maybe, and this is just a thought," he glances down, his face turning a bright red, "we could hang out this weekend?"
"I'd like that." I whisper to him, "we just need to sneak around Patrick, so he doesn't find out and ruin it for us."
"Yeah," he looks back up to me, "we could go on a picnic in the park and stargaze too, if you want."
"I can't wait, I'll bring blankets and drinks if you bring the sandwiches and snacks." I requested.
"Cool." He mumbles back, blushing at the floor again.
"Cool indeed." I turn back around, and start clocking out.

Patrick POV:
"Thank you telling me, Eugene. I owe you one." I expressed.
"No problem, my boy. SpongeBob and Squidward don't know that I bugged the whole restaurant to get the latest gossip. Every room, every table, any place you don't expect, is bugged."
Mr.Krabs openly admits a bit to confidently.
"I don't think that's entirely legal, but to pay you back for the information, I won't speak a word of this to anyone." I noted. I hang up the phone just for it start ringing. "Hello, Patrick Star residence."
"Hello, Patrick, this is Squillium, from last night."
"I remember, your Squidward's old friend."
"Yeah....anyway, so I thought about what said last night, about coming up with a plan to split up Squidward and SpongeBob, and wanted to tell you that I'm in." He says.
"That's great, cause I know what we're going to do as stage one of our plan to be with the ones we want." I tell him.
"And what's that?" He questioned me.
"There going on a picnic and stargazing this weekend. And what we'll be doing is that we're going to do the same thing at the same place 'accidentally' running into them. We're going to be so loud that we'll either make them jealous or be so obnoxious that it'll ruin their date. What do you think?" I ask.
"The plan is simple, and a bit of a cliché, but it might just work. See you this weekend." He said with burgeoning excitement.
"See you then." I tell him as I hang up the phone.

SpongeBob POV:
I knocked on Patrick's rock, nervous about hanging out with him since it's been a while. He lifts up his rock with a joyful, "hey, how's it going?" and invites me in.
"I'm doing well I suppose."
"That's good. I'm glad you decided to show up so late." He tells me.
"You are? Why?" I softly chuckle at him.
"Because your my best friend! And as my best friend, you'd tell me anything, right? No matter how personal it is, we have each other's back, right?" He intensely asks, taking a step towards me every time he says a word.
I take a step back every time he steps towards me, until my back hits a wall, "Of course Patrick, why be best friends if we can't open up to each other." I swallow hard.
"My point exactly." He whispers in my ear, since he backed me into a corner. He forces my gaze to meet his, "you know, I've missed hanging out with you." He puts his hand on my shoulder.
"I missed you too." I sheepishly tell him trying to look away, to no avail.
"I'm glad to hear that, I've been busy doing nothing but using my binoculars these days. Using them to make sure that you and Squidward are okay." He calmly says.
"You've been doing what?" I question him, pushing him back.
It takes him a second, but quickly realizes what I'm implying. He stutters "I just want to make sure that you guys are okay."
"So you've been spying on us?" I shout at him with angry and warm tears streaming down my face. "What is wrong with you?"
"Look, it isn't my fault that you don't want to hang out with me anymore! Your my best friend, like a brother to me and you'd rather sleep with that tentacle freak than me!" He shouts back, "I thought that if you wanted to do stuff like that, it'd be with me, your best friend!"
"Your right, your like a brother to me too. But that's why I can't do things like that with you." I explain, trying to calm down, "I can't do that with someone I see as a brother."
Patrick steps away from me, turns around and mutters, "I think you should leave, SpongeBob. I can't look at you right now."
"Alright Patrick, but if you want to talk, you know where I live." I leave his house and go home to call it a night.