9.

- Thursday -

- Thursday -

Amelia walked next to Bernardo, laughing away about a small memory that occurred to them. They walked peacefully in the Puerto Rican side of the town and Bernardo didn't fail to give her a perfect tour. Amelia was always hidden in the American streets, she has never dared to step foot in the Puerto Rican territory.

Amelia was wary of her surroundings and her heart felt uneasy. She knew none of the Jets would be able to step foot in the part of the town alone but Riff could if he wanted to. She didn't want Riff or any of the Jets to spot her walking with Bernardo. She had a good relationship with Riff and the Jets, she didn't want to jeopardise it.

She met Bernardo in the market and insisted to meet Anita and Maria on the day itself. The three of them weren't working and it was a perfect opportunity. Amelia couldn't decline his invitation because he was her best friend and she still loved him dearly. Besides, she didn't have any plans made in advance. She rushed home and changed into a decent dress that would compliment her in the Puerto Rican streets yet keep her hidden.

  Bernardo caught her looking around and she lied by telling him one might reveal her identity to the ones on her side. Bernardo reassured her that no one would find out and comforted her.

  The Puerto Rican ladies and gentlemen walked the streets in their native language. Amelia envied them. She felt restricted to speak in her first language. Although Bernardo spoke in Spanish, she replied in English.

  "Estoy emocionada de que conozcas a Anita y Maria. (I'm excited for you to meet Anita and Maria.)" he smiled.

  They stepped into a building. She held her purse in her fingers. She felt safe to be in the building, covered from the public where the Jets would never step foot in.

  "I'm excited too," she smiled.

  "¿Por qué no hablas en tu lengua materna? (Why don't you speak in your mother tongue?)" Bernardo questioned. "Are you uncomfortable?"

"Sí, lo soy. (Yes, I am) I'm afraid someone might come after me."

"You're safe here, Amelia. No hay nada de qué preocuparse. (There is nothing to worry about.) I'll crush anyone who tries to hurt you."

"Ay. ¿Eres un gángster ahora? (Are you a gangster now?) I'm so scared of this grownup version of Bernardo," she teased.

"You and your jokes, Amelia. Have you planned on being a comediante?"

She laughed as they reached a door. She took a deep breath to calm her anxious heart before he proceeds to open the door. He stepped in and moved aside for her to enter.

She met with a beautiful woman with black, short, curled and bouncy hair who wore a beautiful lilac dress with a purple flounce hidden underneath the folds of her skirt. She was stunning. Her eyes complimented her character beautifully and Amelia felt herself being pulled into the lady's soul. She had the features which Amelia counts as someone possible to cause love at first sight. Her mouth gaped open at the gorgeous sight of the lady who stood before her, making her fall speechless.