28.

"I do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth

  "I do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth."

  Her eyes travelled to the audience who came to see her. It was filled with familiar faces. Her eyes moved to the defendant and met with a familiar pair of eyes.

  Bernardo.

  "And you're only telling me now?!" She fumed.

  "Am, none of us wanted to stress you out. We wanted you to make a full recovery," Tony said.

  "Shut your hole, Tony. All'you wanted me to recover while he's upstate? And none'you wanna tell me why Anita's been avoidin' me. She's sufferin' alone."

  "Maria's been keepin' her company—"

Her eyes threw daggers at Riff who immediately kept his silence. He knew well enough he had no right to speak since he was there with her for the many weeks of her post-recovery.

"What did ya expect, Amelia? He was holdin' the knife when you got hurt. We couldn't stop em' from takin' him away."

She scoffed, "I've been discharged two weeks ago. That means what? It's goin' up to two months that he's in there."

"Two months ain't that ba—"

"Finish that sentence, Tony. I fuckin' dare ya."

Amelia glared into the man's eyes with Tony keeping a straight face. Riff sighed and stepped in between the two.

"Baby, come on—"

She jerked her arm away from her fiancé and huffed, "Don't fuckin' call me "baby". You lied to me."

"Hey. I ain't ever lied. I just...never told ya."

"Sure, Riff. You were still in on this. You've been stayin' and sleepin' on the same bed with me and you could still hide it away from me. I wonder what else you're hidin' from me."

"Now, let's not go there, alright?"

"What? Am I not bein' real? You could be hidin' another girl from me or maybe a son."

She began rambling in Spanish. Riff scratched his forehead, turning to Tony. He flipped his best friend off which just made Tony glare at him.

"Urgh, I ain't got time for this bullshit. I need to find Schrank."

———

"I can't just pull him out of jail. It ain't easy."

"You shouldn't have put him in anyway."

"I didn't have a choice, kid. He stabbed you. It's good enough that I didn't kill him."