26.

Valentina looked out the silent road, outside of her pharmacy with a heavy heart

Valentina looked out the silent road, outside of her pharmacy with a heavy heart. It was too quiet and eerie. Something in her heart knew that tonight wasn't like any other night. Tony wasn't in the pharmacy. None of the Jets or the Sharks had strolled past. Amelia had broken her promise to visit her. Knowing Amelia, breaking promises has never existed in her dictionary.

Her hand moved to lock the doors and call it a night in hopes that she was just overthinking. However, her heart ordered her to stop and wait for a few seconds. Her instinct was right when she spotted a group of panicked and terrified boys running down the road. She was quick to open her door and run towards them.

The boys were conversing in Spanish. It was clear that they were the Sharks.

"¿Qué ha pasado? Dime qué ha pasado. (What happened? Tell me what happened.)" Valentina asked as she stood in the circle mess.

"La policía nos persigue, ¡vienen a por nosotros! (The police are after us - they're coming for us!)" One stammered.

"Tony. ¿Dónde está Tony? (Where is Tony?)"

"No lo sé. Lo dejamos allí con Bernardo. (I don't know. We left him there with Bernardo.)"

Valentina furrowed her brows. They looked disappointed to have left Bernardo, their leader, in the shed. But to Valentina, why would they leave him there?

"Y-You left Bernardo? Es tu líder. ¿Por qué lo dejaste allí? (He's your leader. Why did you leave him there?)" Valentina paused. It finally came to her mind that something serious had happened. Her lips trembled at the thought of any of them hurt. "¿Quién ha resultado herido? (Who has been hurt?) ¡Dímelo! (Tell me!)"

They fell silent. She begged the boys and pleaded for an answer.

One of them breathed out, "Amelia."

The door swung open with a broken man standing before the door. His arm was around the shoulder of the man that loved his sister. The lady's smile dropped and gasped at the sight of her love.

"¡Mi amor! (My love!)"

His face was covered in blood and tears but all life had escaped his body. She clutched his face, examining his bruises and cuts. She looked down at his hands which were covered in blood. Her eyes widened in fear and took it.

"¿De quién es esa sangre? (Whose blood is that?)" She asked. "Bernardo, contéstame (answer me)."

He dropped into her arms, bursting further into tears as he wrapped his arms around the woman he loved. She stumbled back, surprised by his sudden act. The strong smell of iron lingered up her nose. She cringed. She looked up and noticed the cuts on the other man's face.

"What happened?" She asked, furious.

"There was a fight," he answered.

"I'm not an idiota. I can tell!" She fumed. "Why is he crying? Whose blood is that?"