Chapter 8: Point of View

Everything had started off according to plan. The main gate group had rushed in, and you were able to hide yourself in the chaos. If anyone had noticed that you were acting as a second devil fruit user to Kid's abilities, they made no outward sign of it. Kid was chaos incarnate on his own, and that was apparently spurred onto greater heights if it meant acting as a shield for one of his crew members.

Killer was an equally terrifying presence, though you knew exactly what motivated him.

Getting into the base went well. If the Marines had been on alert from the casino fiasco they showed no signs of it. The mayhem was a little contagious as well, and you found yourself reveling in the thrill of a good fight. Pirates vs Marines, order vs chaos, submission vs freedom; a scuffle that existed since before man first entered the seas.

The Kid Pirates had swarmed over the base, and the original three groups of teams were mixed and mingled in the breeched base and still working like a well oiled machine.

In a few more minutes the fighting would be over, and the base would be secure. Communications had been cut and there was no immediate concern of reinforcements. You followed after Hip and Hop down a corridor when something froze your blood. There was no sound, and no person you could see, but something had set you on edge. Assess. You assessed without even consciously thinking about it, and so you trusted your instincts without question.

You grabbed Hip and Hop and tossed them behind you with all the might you had available. Which was considerable, as they wore metal and you still had Eustass' devil fruit pumping through your veins. You moved to reinforce the hallway, but you weren't fast enough. There wasn't enough metal, and there wasn't enough time.

The bright light of the explosion filled your vision before you felt the shock and pain of the blast.

.

.

.

The explosion had knocked you for a loop, and when you had come back around you were on Killer's back. You could tell from the mess of hair around you, and the scent of him that you'd become used to. The sounds of any fighting were gone, but he was still moving at a quick pace. You were surprised to find yourself conscious, you had expected the blast to kill you.

"We win?" You question, your voice was cracking and you realize that you're hurt all over. Breathing felt like pushing back against shattered glass, but breathing was required.

"Well enough," He replies. "I'm taking you to House."

"Mmm, am I dying, Killer? I hurt, but I feel like I've hurt worse." You murmur. "They say you hut less when-."

"That's for the doc to say," he interrupts, concern cutting into his tone despite his efforts. "Now shut up, save your strength and your breath."

You let yourself fall into him. You didn't have the energy for much else, and you didn't have the heart to say that you couldn't see. You could feel your eyes moving, so they were intact as far as you knew. Until House had looked at everything, there was nothing you could do anyway.

House started patching you up, barking orders at Killer for assistance. After what felt like hours, House kicked Killer out, saying you needed to rest. All the holes were plugged, and now it was up to you. You had lost a lot of blood, and House hadn't had nearly enough available for transfusion. You got what was available, but House wasn't satisfied.

"Doc, we alone?"

"Yeah brat."

"Are my eyes intact?"