Ball of Twine

You and Five followed Klaus out of the towering building.

"Shouldn't we check on Luther?" you asked worriedly, and Klaus waved his hand flippantly. 

"He's probably out showing off to the townspeople."

"Okay..."

"Hey, wait, where are you going?" Viktor called as the three of you walked past, and you smiled apologetically at him.

"Sorry," you called. "Retirement plans."

Twenty minutes later, you were driving along the sunny highway, with you in between both Five and Klaus in the tiny middle seat as Klaus drove. You and Five slurped on grape juice you had gotten at a fast food stop, and his arm was slung around your shoulder. You leaned your head on his shoulder, closing your eyes and smiling.

"This actually isn't so terrible," Five commented, pressing a kiss to your temple.

"See? Told you."

"Come to think of it, my whole life I've been under the gun," Five continued as you listened sleepily. "Missions for Dad, working for the Commission, trying to survive the apocalypse. I was always looking around every corner, just waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's nice to just breathe."

"Good for you, man. Retirement is suiting you."

"You are much more relaxed," you mumbled without opening your eyes, and you felt his rumbling chuckle. "I could get used to this."

"Oh!" Five exclaimed after a moment of comfortable silence, pulling out a map from his pocket. "Uh... all right! So, I've circled all the roadside attractions along the way."

"I'm not sure we're gonna have time..." Klaus began haltingly as you grinned, resting your chin on his shoulder to watch him trace his steady fingers over the paper.

"We have the Brownsville Big Nickel," Five said happily. "Oh, Ricky's Bakery has award-winning pies." 

"Ooh, I like that one," you said, and Five underlined it.

"Well, if you just let me explain-"

"Or there's this Cow Henge." He looked at Klaus, smiling. "That's it, don't-"

"Listen to me. Just shut up for two seconds, okay?" Klaus finally exploded, and Five's grin faded. "Just two seconds, all right?"

"Okay," Five said in an annoyed tone, folding up the paper and turning to face him. "I'm all ears." A fake smile stretched across his face.

"We," Klaus finally said without looking at either of you, "are going to Pennsylvania to find... my birth mother. Yayyy!!!"

"Excuse me?!" you and Five both said, eyes wide.

"I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry. I just needed some people to come with me for emotional support."

"Oh, emotional support, like a Schnauzer?"

"Might as well have brought Chet's dog," you said, rolling your eyes.

"Hey, bad topic, lil sis," Klaus said, taking his hand off the wheel to wag his finger at you. "He's missing. Anyway, I knew you guys wouldn't have come if I told you - at least, Five wouldn't, and you two don't go anywhere without the other these days! What was I supposed to do?"

"You're goddamn right we wouldn't have come, Klaus! You know why?" Five asked, pointing to himself and clenching his jaw. "Because I am supposed to be retired, and Eight is trying to take her mind off of things!"

"I know, I know," Klaus said regretfully.

"This was supposed to be a carefree road trip."

"Well it still can be, babes," Klaus said quickly.