Bachelorette... and Ben

After cleaning up the vase, you walked down the hall, glancing around at the familiar walls and railings. This place had been your home - you had grown up here, run down these halls with Ben, Allison, Klaus. You had loved each other, truly.

And you would never be those kids again.

You were jolted out of your reverie by Ben stalking out of Sloane's room, seeming surprised to see you, before glaring at you and walking off. You watched him go, confused... shouldn't he be at the bachelor party?

You peered over the railing. Sure enough, even Oliver was there, although he did seem slightly uncomfortable. Klaus kept pulling him over to the mic, forcing him to sing. Everyone looked so happy, and you felt a flare of annoyance. Why did they get to have a blast? Why shouldn't the girls?

You stepped into Sloane's room with a purpose, glancing around and spotting her finishing up on her wedding dress, tugging the needle to finalize the sewing.

"Sloane," you said eagerly, walking forward and smiling at her as she looked up, confused.

"Hey, Eight. I didn't think I'd see you before the wedding."

"Yeah, well... about that," you said nervously, suddenly afraid that she would turn down your idea. "The guys are having their bachelor party, you know, and I thought... shouldn't you get your bachelorette?"

Sloane's eyes widened at first, her smile fading, and then it came back twice as bright. She stood up, draping her dress over the chair, before hurrying over to you and taking both of your hands. Her hands were thin and delicate feeling, cold in your own. "That's so sweet of you, Eight. I really did want to have one, I just thought..." she hesitated, pressing her lips together. "I don't know Lila very well. And Allison seems very... distant. And we just met a week ago, you know?"

You nodded, shifting your feet slightly and looking up at her. "I know. But Lila would definitely be down. We could make margaritas and just... talk at the bar. There's a stereo in there," you added with a smile. "I'll go set it up if you get Lila."

Sloane nodded, smiling, but before you could walk off, she grabbed tighter onto your hand. "Thank you," she said, her tone honest, when you turned back around. "It means a lot to me."

You beamed, nodding, and walked off. Being with Sloane felt kind of like... getting Allison back. You'd lost your sister, and it hurt. But now you had a new one. 

You strode downstairs and over to the bar, raising your eyebrows when you saw Ben gulping from his flask and sitting on the barstools, facing away from you.

"Did you lose your invitation?" you asked, walking over and standing across from him, leaning on the bar. He let out an annoyed sigh, looking away.

"What do you want, Dud?" He sounded... less hateful than usual. More sad. Your first instinct was to pull him into your arms, ask him what was wrong, tell him you'd help...

But no. This wasn't your Ben.

"We're having our own party in here," you said, pouring yourself some wine. "So take your pity party elsewhere."

He worked his jaw, standing abruptly and moving to walk out of the room. But as you watched, you felt an odd rush of guilt. "Wait." For a moment, you thought he wouldn't stop, but then he froze in the doorway, turning to look at you with his usual frown. "You can... stay," you offered weakly, wincing at how hesitant you sounded.

His eyes narrowed, but then he looked away, scoffing. "Yeah, right. You think I want your pity invitation? Think again, Dud." He turned to leave, but you shouted after him.

"That's not what this is! Don't alienate yourself, Ben," you said, crossing your arms as he hesitated, narrowing his eyes at you. "Sloane and Lila and I were going to have a bachelorette party. But... I do want to know you." His eyes met yours searchingly, suspicion clear on his face. "After all, the world ends soon. How bad would it be to be friends?"