A Deal's a Deal

Five's POV

"We should've given them Harlan," Luther muttered.

"Luther," Viktor protested softly as Diego frowned.

"What about Harlan?" The atmosphere turned tense, and Viktor and Luther locked eyes for a moment before the latter spoke.

"The Sparrows said if we turned him over we could end the fighting. And then work together to save the world! But, if we didn't, then-"

"We tried to make peace," Viktor cut in. "Okay? And they kidnapped you and held you hostage. Not to mention, the other half of their deal was Eight. Who here is willing to hand her over?" He looked around at the group expectantly as Five straightened up, his brow furrowed.

"What about Eight?"

Viktor awkwardly opened and shut his mouth, not meeting Five's eyes.

"Viktor, now is not the time to stall."

"The Sparrows want us to give her up so that they aren't afraid of us anymore. That's not how they worded it, but... they know she's powerful. And they either want her on their side or captured so she can't hurt them. They won't trust us otherwise."

Five tensed his jaw, placing his palms flat against the bar counter and leaning across the table so that him and Viktor were nose to nose.

"Who knows about this?" His tone was tight and forced, his eyes never leaving Viktor's.

"Just me, Luther, and... Eight. Shit."

"I shouldn't have let her leave," Five muttered, straightening his jacked before flashing away.

...

Your POV

A few minutes after leaving, you stood in front of the Sparrow Academy, your hands clenched at your sides. The midday air felt fresh on your face, carrying a scent of roses from the nearby garden.

It didn't comfort you as Ben stepped out onto the steps, eyeing you with suspicion and hatred.

"So, you expect me to believe that you're walking right into our trap?" he sneered, glaring down at you. You sighed, squinting against the bright blue sky.

"I wasn't aware this was a trap. I'm doing this for my family."

He exaggerated looking to either side of you.

"Where's the old man?" he demanded.

You pursed your lips.

"This is the best it's gonna get. I'm sorry," you said, partially meaning it. Even just looking at Ben made you want to wrap him up in a big hug, even though...

Whatever.

"A deal's a deal," he responded, narrowing his eyes at you.

"Listen, if you'd just hear us out-"

"Hear you out? You killed two of our siblings."

"That was Harlan!" you protested.

"Who you conveniently refuse to bring to us." He strode down the stairs, tilting his head at you. "But you'll do. For now."

"I need your word that you won't hurt my siblings," you said quickly. "Or I swear to God, I'll kill all of you."

He chuckled darkly, rolling his eyes.

"You say that like it's possible." Within seconds, he had you lifted in the air in one of his tentacles. You gasped, pushing against it. You couldn't use your force field when he was this close to you. "Perhaps with the support of your siblings, you can amount to something. But on your own? You're helpless."