Chapter 19

Since I have nothing to do, I go to sleep. I've given Amelia instructions on how to get us to a certain stretch of water, and once we're there they're to wake me. From there on, I will blindfold the pirates, and only my group will be navigating. The pirates don't know about this yet; I'm sure they'd mutiny if they did. However, what am I supposed to do?

I can't let these random strangers know of this place. Of Brady's and mine place. Of my stomping grounds. Not when Amelia and Zeev don't know about it. Not when the only people who did are dead. Or about to be. I can't forget about Alistar.

I don't know why I never showed someone. I guess it was just this place. It was so special to me, and now I don't want to go there. I don't want to see the bloodstain where Brady laid. It's probably eroded away by now, but it will forever be in my mind.

Oh, who am I kidding? The whole reason I can't truly show people this spot is because it was my worst defeat and I don't want to relive it. Pride is my worst quality; I'm far too much like Mr. Darcy in that regard. However, now, maybe, I can stand to be there. To return to the place that felt like home.

And, I'm sure, Amelia would point out the lovely idea of Miguel and I dating in the same place I fell in love with Brady. Probably something about romance being in the air in that place, or some other whimsical lie such as that.

And now, you know the reason I actually know of Pride and Prejudice. Amelia. The romantic simply insisted that I had to read it. Of course, I refused. And then, everyone starts to nickname me Darcy behind my back. Thus, I'm forced to read it; that and ban any mention of the book in the workplace.

I hear the creaking and groaning of the planks next to me, and a familiar scent floods me. Of course Miguel is napping next to me. I'm sure that wasn't planned in the least. Honestly, I really am going to have to talk to them about subtlety. How can I trust them to help me matchmake others, if they can't be subtle enough for me to not know it's them. How are Emily and Callum going to get together?

"So what are you thinking about?" He asks, his mouth practically right next to mine. Of course, he wants to 'sleep' facing me. We're worse than teenage girls spending the night with each other, at least in terms of sleeping and most likely gossip.

"What made you think I wasn't asleep?" I whisper back, before cracking my eyes open.

"Your breathing was too fast for someone who was asleep. That and while I was walking over you unconsciously reached down for a weapon you have in your shoe."

I give him a glare, and I'm about to argue, when I realize that my hand is on my boot. My boot with the false heel with a knife in it, and a couple lined in it.

"Just out of courtesy, how many weapons? And why did you not use them earlier?" Miguel asks, and I shake my head, and fully open my eyes, wincing at the brightness.

"I'm not going to answer the weapons one, safety reasons and all that fun stuff. Let's just say a slightly unhealthy amount that most people would consider paranoia. As for why I didn't use them earlier," I hesitate for a couple of seconds. "In all honesty, I didn't know how advantageous it would be. At first, I believed I was a dead person walking. Then, I slightly wondered if you wanted me for who my father was, and if that was the case, I would need them to slit my own throat. I never had the chance to use them to escape, and just randomly attacking someone, especially the person who was feeding me wouldn't be very smart. Sucidial is more like it; and I could already tell Ruben wasn't one to be trifled with. If I could have gotten to Dirk I probably would have for him, even if I would have signed my death warrant. It would have been worth it."

I muttered the last few parts, but he still heard him. I honestly don't care; it would half-way be worth taking Alistar in alive to kill them both at the same time, so Alistar is forced to see how his empire is being destroyed at my hand, just how he destroyed my life.