CHAPTER NINE

-XAVEYONE TORRONO >

I sit in my study wondering how I convinced myself to take that kid in. I wasn't the only one. My consigliere kept reminding me of the consequences of my decision. And they were severe. 

I'm a fucking mob boss. 'Cause of me, she will face many predators in the underworld. A world not fit for a child. I couldn't leave her to fend for herself. She's fifteen. And the Torrono motto is very clear and what we've stood by for many decades.

la famiglia prima di qualsiasi cosa o chiunque altro

Family before it all.

"Capo, the child won't survive. The Torronos will eat her alive. Your immediate family is already requesting to see you. They are not happy. Cosa dovrei dire loro?" He asks. I take a swig of my tequila glass, closing my eyes to think. [What should I tell them?]

"Leo, calm down. Just tell them I'm handling it. They shouldn't confirm anything unless I tell them to. That's all." 

I loosen my tie, unbuttoning my collar. My parents especially would sell their souls to the devil if they hear I got a one-night stand pregnant.

Lynn wasn't a prostitute. She was a doctor. A doctor whom I may or may not have grown to like during the time she had to take care of my wounds. I grew to like the way her hands worked my wounds and well you could say that one night, things got too heated. 

Hence the birth of Tatuyanna. 

But after that night, she disappeared and I couldn't find her.

I'd never forget her wild long ass curls, chocolate skin with the most gorgeous green eyes. No doubt, she was ethereal. 

"The kid isn't going anywhere. I'll make sure of that." My consigliere nods his head. There's only so much he can advise me on. The final decision will always fall in my hands. Before I dismiss him, I remember today's incident.

"I need that warehouse relocated. We will no longer commit any murder in this territory. I have a kid now. She can't ever see that shit again." 

My consigliere stands up, nodding his head and leaving my study. She already has several people who hate her, and I haven't introduced her as an official Torrono's daughter yet. I stand and walk out passing by her room.

I itch to look into the room. I wonder if she's asleep. I decide against it, continuing to walk but It's as if a magnet pulled me back and made me face the door. Giving up my mental battle, I softly knock. 

She doesn't answer, so I gently open the door. 

The first thing I notice is a small body curled up on the white fur carpet in front of her bed. "The hell?" I near her sleeping body, crouching down. She looked so peaceful. Beautifully curled eyelashes, a sharp nose, and a slightly open mouth, with soft snores escaping her lips.

Gorgeous. 

My finger unconsciously caresses her cheek. "They'll die before they ever lay their hands on you, neonata. I promise I'll protect you." 

Her nose scrunches before she lets out a low whine, and then, the little bastard smacks my hand away. 

Her eyes flutter open momentarily. "Oh, sorry." She takes my hand and caresses it. "I thought you were someone else." She groggily says. The fuck does that mean? Has someone been touching her when she's been sleeping? The mere thought makes anger burn through my veins. 

"Those damned foster kids have a sick obsession with playing pranks." She mumbles. "I had to beat them up every day for them to leave me alone." 

This kid. . . reminds me of myself, each day that passes by. The first few days were void. I couldn't see her. The reason remains unknown. I stayed at one of my business condos, calling in to check on her, now and then. 

I only heard from my security that she would roam around my mansion. Read the books in my library and watch my chef cook while conversing. She's been my cook for fourteen years. I trust her with my girl. 

The kid wants to go to school. I don't know why I have this unending feeling of fear about the idea. I don't like it and have been settling deep in my chest whenever she's come into my life. I know have nothing to worry about. Of course, my girl can stand up for herself. She's my kid for fuck sake. 

"Tatu, why are you sleeping on the floor?" 

"Familiarity." She mumbles. My eyes widen a fraction. I understand. Her life's been difficult. Yet here she is. She fought her way through that kidnapping. She failed, but she didn't sit around and let them drag her from place to place. 

At the same time, I saw her tears fall when she found out about the death of her mom. She jumped into my arms out of fear, even when she didn't trust me. She's still a kid. A child that needs protecting. She still has my hand in her grasp. I try to pull away, but she tightens her hold. 

It suddenly dawned on me hard and fast. 

I'll rain down purgatory on those who come against her. 'cause they'd be going up against me. 

They'd be going against a God.

"Hey, Xavier?" She suddenly sits up while rubbing her eyes. I hum. "What's the deal with that Ares boy? He's so weird. He doesn't smile at all, he's so introverted and he can be rude." She pouts with an angered frown, adorably.

I think back to the kid.

"It's not my place to tell you his full story, but let's just say he hasn't had the healthiest upbringing back in Greece."

I sigh. "I know the kid has anger pent up over the years but it is never to hurt you. I practically raised the little brat. He's better now, trust me."

A frown pulls her lips as her eyebrows meet. "He was worse?"

I nod. "When I first found him on a curb in the rougher streets of Cefalú city, at the young age of 13, I asked him where his parents were. The little fuc—brat glared up at me and told me to piss off."

She giggles. "What happened then?"

"I smacked him at the back of his head with my loafer like my ma did when I disrespected her." I smile, thinking back at the memory.

"He apparently spent all his money on the flight from Greece to Sicily. I could tell the kid wasn't okay. So I did my research. Found his parents and threatened them to get him a place to stay."

She tilts her head, confused. "Why not just get him a place to stay yourself?"

"I could've, but I was hell-bent on getting his parents to take responsibility. I can't stand neglectful parents."

She hums. "Do you threaten people often?" She asks, pulling her knees up under her chin and wrapping her arms around them. "More often than necessary, honestly." I shrugged.

"Anyway, I felt spontaneous. So I taught him everything he knows now. He eventually got comfortable enough to show me his skills in computer science. Kid's a genius."

"I'm a genius too." She grumbles under her breath, seemingly jealous.

How cute.

I ruffle her curly hair. "You're my daughter. Of course, you are."

~~~

Hey guys! 

Hope everyone's having a good day/morning <33