CHAPTER EIGHT

-TATUYANNA >

Turns out my joint just got displaced in my arm. Once it got popped back into place, it felt fine, yet still painful.

My father agreed to take me to an actual hospital after I complained about those loudmouth gossipers.

For the past week, I'm left to read books in his library. It wasn't anything huge or extra. At most he only had a hundred books, fifty books on each shelf. I already read twenty books worth three hundred pages or more each. He didn't have any romance novels or comedies. What did I expect from a man like him? His books only contain murder documentaries and everything about business management. 

I haven't seen Xavier these past two weeks. Guards started standing outside every door, practically around the mansion. I'm not dumb. I know I'm in a weird position as a child. Especially a foster child. I've never been around money. And I'm living with someone that has enough money to burn cash and still live off of it forever.

I've only ever dreamed of having enough of it to buy a game console. Of course that never happened. But as soon as my father caught wind of that, I had a game console and a bunch of games packed neatly the next day. I'd been playing every single game all night till the next day, and my eyes were as red as a drug addict. 

I've never been gifted a thing in my life! 

It felt nice. Since it was the first thing given to me by my own dad, I finally feel the fact that I might not be an orphan anymore.

I run down the stairs, as boredom overcame me. I open the main double doors, coming face to face with two men completely strapped with freaking AK-47s and bullet-proof vests.

"Hey, piccola capa. Is there anything you need?" He asks. "Where is Xavier?" I asked, hoping he would just appear. As much as I hate having to think of him as safety, I don't really have a choice. He's the boss. He gives the orders, and these men obey his every command.

He is my best bet at being the person that can offer me protection. For now I guess. This could all still be a massive ruse.

"The capo has business to take care of, mi scuso." I don't speak Italian, I didn't even know I was half-Italian until I heard Xavier speak to the security. The apologetic look in the Italian's eyes kind of gave me a hint of what he said.

I'm fine with being all alone. Solitude was my forte. It's just. . . I don't feel comfortable being in an unfamiliar space without someone I'm familiar with. I guess I'm hoping it'll drive away the thoughts of being tricked from my mind.

"Then. . . Is Ares around?"

They both look at each other then back at me, and nod. "Okay then." I rush inside and toward the kitchen where Emelia, the chef, was busy making some kind of ice cream bagel. "Hello, gorgeous. I'm almost done with your lunch." She says with that same smile on her face. That smile makes me feel at home, more than I've ever felt at the foster house.

For the past week, she's been my friend.

Even if she's a little old. Her company meant a lot. She's a bit weird though, but it's hilarious.

"Thanks, Emelia. Also, stop cooking enough food to feed a small village." She nods with a smile. "Don't tell me you're going on a diet. Is there a boy you are trying to impress?" She muses, her French accent thick.

I gasp, shyly attempting to look unbothered. "Hardly, ma'am. I'm just not used to that much food."

"Alright, darling. But you should eat. You are too thin." She scolds me as if I had a choice in the matter before. "You should eat enough so that your boyfriend can get jealous of your abs." I run a hand over my face. "That's not how it works! And there is no boyfriend."