Chapter 1: Old Friend, New Friend

The Emperor hesitantly meets up with an old friend.

A commoner meets a vaguely familiar skeleton.

- - - - -

'The story spoke of twins, immortal and powerful.

It spoke of two Guardians, two immortals, two brothers.

The tales differed, but they all had one thing in common; the story ended with one executed, the other the executioner."

"This story's absolute bs. How'd you even kill an immortal?"

"It's just a story. Don't think too deeply into it."

It's not about killing an immortal, Ink thought as he strode further and further away.

It's about killing a Guardian.

He glanced back to the storyteller, watching as they continued the tale.

Then he went on his way, always moving, never lingering, passing by many stores as he made his way to the Palace. Just outside a butchery, he found a lovely black rose.
The exact hue of an eclipse.

Naturally he pocketed it.

A fountain pen lay on a stack of paperwork, glinting in the sunlight spilling through windows. Blue ink twisted and folded in on itself as the pen flew across, finally coming to a halt at the last loop.

Dream lifted his head, fingers massaging his aching wrist. His gaze inadvertently drifted to the windows, and soon he too found himself overlooking the courtyard. In the Marigold Court, Dream often found the pressed smile finding its way back onto his face as his patience was tested. The smile that lingered now felt different than that as he watched the children below play. It was good that the rose bushes had been removed, though without the threat of thorns he would've left them for the children to enjoy amidst the other flowers dotting the entire Palace.

Even now sunflowers blossomed as clustered carnations bloomed, and if Dream noticed any child pocketing a flower or two, no he didn't.

A gentle sensation began to bubble lightly in Dream, re-energising the Guardian. This was what he fought for. A safe haven for people to enjoy their lives, to live happily ever after.

A figure emerged from the corner and made his way through the courtyard.

Dream's smile dropped as soon as it came, recognising the figure immediately. His stomach twisted. He turned away from the window.

As he reluctantly moved the paperwork aside, he contemplated locking the doors but ultimately decided it was wishful thinking.

And then there it was, the noise he'd been dreading. A single knock wasn't much to be afraid of, but it was when it came from him.

"Come in."

The doors parted as Ink stepped in. Dream kept his gaze locked on him.

"Emperor." Ink shut the doors as he returned the piercing gaze. His boots thudded against the marble floor as he slid into the chair opposing Dream's. Neither said anything more, holding eye contact until Ink, ever so subtly, lifted an eyebrow.

When Dream didn't respond, Ink exhaled and broke the ice. "You know why I'm here, don't you?"

"I think you may be mistaken. You only ever come on a very rare occasion, and I'm afraid that it has yet to pass." Dream found himself clenching his fists under the table as his throat seemed to tighten.

"Don't play coy, Dream. You knew very well it was only a matter of time before war was brought to your doorstep again." Ink lowered his gaze, fingers curving around the fountain pen Dream had neglected to store away. Seemingly almost, yet not quite, amused. "The Destroyer and I have corresponded, and if you do not heed my warning about him and the troops he has allied with, you will be putting everything at great risk."