Chapter 2: Exchanges

Gift from an ally, gifts between friends.

(Is this truly the mortals' war?)

- - - - -

A/N: Okay, look, I know Error seems arrogant as hell but listen this is actually really important for the character development just sit through this man's cocky phase.

(Chapter mostly in his POV, keep that in mind)

also I tried to make Ink and Error's banter rival-ish?

And just to clarify; the *current* Error doesn't have haphephobia. Further emphasis on the current, will be explained in one of the following chapters.

- - - - -

"This won't work. The Marigold Empire has weaknesses, but this is not one of them."

The figure smiled tightly. "Yes, but if you take a look at the blueprints—"

"Stop trying to argue a point with no substance. Simply put, it will not work and will never work."

"How'd you know it won't—"

"Because it won't."

The glitching skeleton met the figure head on, gaze locked on each other's.

"But how would you know ?" The figure bit their tongue and tried again. "I'd go as far as to say it's a near-perfect plan—"

" 'Near-perfect' isn't perfect. In war, all we need is that 1% chance and that's it, you've lost the battle and, quite honestly, if you use this plan you'd be losing the war ."

"Remind me again, who's the one in charge here? I'd suggest you remember your place," They hissed. "You may think you're irreplaceable in this war but you're not. I'd suggest you remember that."

"..."

Always descending into ridicule and banter...

The glitching skeleton lowered his gaze.

"Yresim, you are not irreplaceable—"

Yresim started humming. The figure paused, confused.

Their fingers flew to their throat.

Barely grazing their skin... their eyes fell downwards, the hint of blue visible even in the dim lighting.

The figure's strangled breath pulled itself out their agape mouth, falling into the sapphire threads.

"Yresim, what are you—?!"

"Do you really think you're important to this war?" A soft laugh escaped him.

"Your only asset is possessed by many. You were clever enough to recognise my prowess, and in return I assist you in every battle. But you seem to forget that, simply put,"

The threads tightened.

Gaping like a drowning fish, Yresim thought.

"I am loyal to destruction itself . Nothing more. If your plan undermines that, I refuse to carry it out. Simple as."

The strings loosened and dropped to the ground.

By the time the figure had regained their composure, Yresim had retrieved his coat.

"Take this time to focus more on long range weapons. The Marigold army won't be keen on getting close, and besides in short range combat your army'd be at a disadvantage."