Chapter 17: Catalyst, Siege

At long last, the Capitol is invaded.

The Destroyer protects by destroying.

A Guardian awakes, and with him the Protector. They meet the one behind it all.

tw;
explosions, violence

- - - - -

Swap awoke with a heavy foreboding tension lingering in the air, across fur, dripping off claws. He so wanted to just close his eyes and go back to sleep. It took a minute for him to get up, stretching while he was at it. The side of his face was somewhat numb from being pressed against the desk all night. His mouth was dry, so dry, he could hardly swallow.

He, like most in the Empire, endured days no different than the recent ones. That didn't mean it'd be a good day. Let's see; people were falling ill, there had been so many fights to settle in court, and there was still the war approaching ever so slowly. He suddenly had a lot of sympathy for Dream

But why? Why so slowly? It didn't make sense. They hadn't attacked the Empire, even the outskirts. Apart from the war declaration and those letter missiles addressed specifically to Dream, they hadn't made a single move.

Was their aim to make the Empire fall from the inside?

But that didn't make sense. Why, then, declare war? Why ruin the element of surprise? Were they so confident that they'd win? Their over-confidence was good for the Empire, of course, but only if it allowed blunders to occur and hence let the Empire take advantage of them, which was impossible considering they had done nothing, and nothing meant no blunders.

Why hadn't they made any moves? He couldn't help but keep wandering back to it. Why? It made no sense. He wasn't sure if he wanted it to.

And why the captives? Why them, specifically?

He hoped he hadn't made a mistake.

He hoped he wouldn't be the reason for the Empire's failure.

Dream would know what to do. Which was true, wasn't it? Yes, Swap was a pretty high-ranking advisor, but Dream was, well, the Emperor. He was so intelligent, so much more capable than him. And Dream was missing.

Dream had been missing for weeks.

Oh, stars.

Dream... may have made a mistake. It was more than likely. He doubted he would risk being absent so long, especially in a war.

Unless he had to risk it? Unless the risk was worth it?

Dream wouldn't have risked being absent, because it would've left the Empire vulnerable. So what if...

Oh no.

What if Dream truly believed Swap was capable of running the Empire? What if Dream truly thought him capable? Which he wasn't. He definitely wasn't. But Dream thought he was. Dream was never wrong. He trusted Dream.

He was so used to just trusting Dream over himself.

But did he even know Dream?

- - - - -

Nightmare's face was scrunched up. "What if we corner him?"

"...I honestly think that would give him a bigger breakdown than me seeing you." Once again, Dream proved to be a very virtuous person by being completely honest.

"Ah. A fear of confrontation." His eyelights flickered to him. "Pot, kettle, black?"

Dream didn't grace the last part with a retort. "How long has it been out there?"