Baby Please Come Home | Chase Davenport

The school doors creak as students rush into the building to escape the chilly winds that swirl and taunt them, blowing leaves at their feet and rustling the dead trees in glee. Students drag their feet, bodies slouching and eyes dull as they wander to their destinations. Principle Perry cackles and squirms in delight to see their sunken faces.

With a bounce in your step, you walk into the building and ignore everything but the garland and bright red bows that decorate the walls and the ceiling, adoring the way fairy lights trail up the staircase, weaving between glittery white cutout snowflakes.

Hot chocolate bursts onto your tongue, warming you from the inside out as you hum all the way to your locker.

Christmas, The snow’s coming down

Christmas, I’m watching it fall

Christmas, Lots of people around

Christmas, Baby please come home

Your locker screeches with a creeeeaaak as you mouth along, gathering your supplies for your first class.

Christmas, The church bells in town

Christmas, All ringing in song

Christmas, Full of happy sounds 

Baby please come home

Eyes shut, you sway in place with your tumbler until it gets taken out of your hand and you turn to the culprit, who - with a smug smile - takes a sip with a hum of delight. "Leo!"

Although scrawny and all gangly limbs, he's quick as a mouse; light on his feet, and sometimes shifty with his beady bright eyes when not up no good. Though, sometimes not as quiet. 

He scrunches his nose and hums with satisfaction. Cute, but shifty. 

You give him a look. "Leo, come on."

"What are you listening to?" Adam plucks an earbud out of your ear. He puts it in his ear and gasps in excitement. "I love this part! Baby, Please come home!" He raises to a higher pitch, voice breaking to hit higher notes. He gathers the attention of the surrounding students.

"Hey, that's one of my favorites!" Leo exclaims as Adam takes your drink from Leo.

Bree walks up with Chase and says to Leo, "You say that about all Christmas songs."

"What can I say?" Leo shrugs, holding onto his backpack straps. "They're all so good!"

Bree rolls her eyes at Leo as Adam finishes your hot chocolate in one gulp. He burps as he hands it back to you, shaking the empty tumbler. "Here you go."

Chase looks at Adam with indignation. "Adam! You can't just finish other people's drinks without asking, it's rude!"

"It's okay, Chase." You wave away the concern as the first warning bell echoes through the halls. You put the tumbler in your locker as everyone shuffles to class. You and Chase walk to English together. You drop your voice to a whisper and ask, "How was the mission last night?"

"It went well, considering that we all fell into a frozen lake." You wince in sympathy as he shrugs. "Luckily our mission suits are made to withstand extreme temperatures. Tasha made us cookies and hot cocoa when we got back." Stopping before the classroom, he shuffles through his backpack for a moment before pulling out a small container filled with chocolate chip cookies. "Tasha made some for you."

You can't help the smile that crosses your face as you take the container. "I can't wait to have a sleepover this weekend." You lean in to press a kiss to his cheek. "Thank you."